79 MF 245 Orchard

/ 79 MF 245 Orchard #1  

79massey245

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 245
Hey all, joined this forum awhile ago but haven't posted. Our tractor is a 1979 MF 245 Orchard and here's my first post... HELP!!! Oh my gosh we have had one problem after another with our tractor and trying to find someone to work on it has been very frustrating. Our current repair person shows up, fiddles around, doesn't have the right part etc and then we wont see him for a month. This has happened several times. I won't bore you with the full gory details, but our immediate problem is trying the glass bowl that sits right under the fuel filter. We are unable to get anything done until we can at least start it up. Any suggestions for find this apparently rare part? Thanks Teri

/ 79 MF 245 Orchard #2  
I would think massey would have it, have you checked or are you trusting your "repair man".

/ 79 MF 245 Orchard #3  
If you determine the correct part name and part number there is a good chance your part is sold on eBay.

Your tractor is at least 34 years old; expect regular repairs.

Do you have a MF245 Orchard Parts Manual? It is time to purchase one if you do not have one. Following LINK may provide help.

LINK:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3bwzubbm6ecZFlhcl9aRlJOcTg/edit

/ 79 MF 245 Orchard #4  
Look on agcoparts.com. Log in as guest. That is very common bowl. Also get rubber washer for bottom and you might as well replace filter too, and your field repairman.

/ 79 MF 245 Orchard #5  
What kind of repairs are you having to get done? I have two MF245s, one made in '76 and one in '80, both very reliable. One had an engine rebuild after over 5000 hours but both start and run every time. One has a draft control issue but I just use a chain on the top link so it doesn't matter.

The Perkins AD3.152 diesel engines are of legendary reliability.

/ 79 MF 245 Orchard #6  
Have you tried tractor wreckers or new parts at your dealer? It should be easy to get.
If you don't have a parts manual get one as it is very easy to order the correct part when you know the part number or part name.
Lastly these tractors have a reputation for reliability (135 for 27 years) what hours has yours got and was it store in a shed or outside?

/ 79 MF 245 Orchard #7  
Is the tractor a gas or a diesel? The diesels used a CAV style fuel filter with one or two filters, the gas used a sediment bowl assembly. You will also need the gasket so the bowl will seal.