Massey Ferguson 2615

/ Massey Ferguson 2615 #1  

leeave96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wheelhorse 520H & 314-8
Looking at a John Deere 5055d and a Massey Ferguson 2615. Both would get the job done for me - I think. 2 wheel drive is fine too for my needs.

The 2615 has been out now for several years, couple of questions.

How has this tractor been long term? We all like our new tractors, but now that time has passed - do you still like this tractor?

Anyone round baling with a 2615? Down the road, I'm thinking of making some 4x4 round bales and typical PTO hp is 40. This tractor comes in at 42 PTO with the live vs independent PTO. I am also concerned with the ground clearance for round baling.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Bill

/ Massey Ferguson 2615 #2  
Either tractor will meet your needs as described. The Massey 2600 Series tractors have improved in quality since the Series was initially released. Keep in mind the Massey has a 4 cylinder Simpson engine which is basically a Perkins where as the JD is only a 3 cylinder. I'm not saying the 3 cylinder is a bad thing, I just prefer a 4 cylinder over the 3 cylinder. The transmission on the Massey is the old proven slush box design but if you don't mind the center shift version they shift smoother and better than the side shift versions. I like the heavy rear axle as we'll on the Massey. The 2615 is a proven design, basically an updated good old Ford 8N. Notice the rear fenders, they are made from the same mold the 8N fenders were made from !!! Like I said either tractor will suit your needs, as far as ground clearance, depends on how big you make your windrows.