2310 diff-lock broke again

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #1  

ronnierhino06

Tractor
massey ferguson gc 2310 tlb
I have a 2004 gc2310tlb and the locking rear diff has broken again, the pins on the locking ring have sheared off for the 2nd time and it takes all 3 parts to fix, $500 last time, anybody else have this problem or knows what causes this? I might weld up the 3 parts and have a locked rear all the time I'm all ways in the dirt.

100_6940.jpg

100_6941.jpg

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #2  
The number one cause of differential lock failure is applying the differential lock when one wheel is moving faster than another. This can happen when one wheel is spinning, or when making a turn. Differential lock should be applied before the operator enters an area where there is potential for the rear wheels to spin, while both rear wheels are moving at exactly the same speed. Another cause of failure is for the operator to run with the differential lock engaged all the time, this causes stress on the rear axle and can lead to breakage. Differential lock was designed to be used intermittently.
Having the differential locked all the time can lead to axle failure as the unit was not designed to handle the stress, this is an excellent way to grenade a differential, often the spider gears will self destruct.

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #3  
Here is a suggestion.. After you get it repaired this time.. stop using it. Use your split brakes instead. When you are stuck and one wheel is spinning, apply light brake pressure to that spinning wheel. This will cause the other wheel with the better traction to then start moving, thru the normal differential action. Apparently your differential lock is a "weak sister" and not well designed. Unless you have been abusing it as noted above. Just use your independent brakes to get yourself unstuck. In the "old days" that was what we had and it still works fine.

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #4  
When I purchased my Bobcat CT335, the dealer warned me not to engage the differential lock
while the tractor was in motion. To do so would result in expensive damage to the differential
lock mechanism.

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #5  
Just use your independent brakes to get yourself unstuck. In the "old days" that was what we had and it still works fine.

The problem with that idea is, he doesn't have independent brakes. It's a subcompact tractor.

I do agree with the suggestion to stop using the diff. lock though.

No, a broken diff. lock is not a common occurrence on these.

I suggest either trying chains on the rears, or get a bigger tractor.

The GC's are great little tractors, but they were intended as estate tractors. They were designed to maintain property.

You may be using the diff. lock improperly, or just pushing the tractor a too hard.

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #6  
The problem with that idea is, he doesn't have independent brakes. It's a subcompact tractor.

I do agree with the suggestion to stop using the diff. lock though.

No, a broken diff. lock is not a common occurrence on these.

I suggest either trying chains on the rears, or get a bigger tractor.

The GC's are great little tractors, but they were intended as estate tractors. They were designed to maintain property.

You may be using the diff. lock improperly, or just pushing the tractor a too hard.

Whoops! that will teach me to look it up on tractordata first..:)

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again
KOua, don't make that mistake again! 10-4 on bad desigan, to weak, only has 450 hrs and only used form snow, wood, trail maintance and dragging super heavy huge logs. maybe as I drag or carry these heavy loads and move through the trees and around objects its twisting the diff pin off. has to be moving to get lock pedal to engage, won't go down sitting still.

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #8  
I stop, apply gentle pressure to the lock lever, gently apply hydro pressure and it drops in as soon as one wheel starts to spin. I have a little over 400 hours with much severe, 4 wheelin' type use, no issues with the diff lock.

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again #9  
Same here-one wheel has to spin slowly before it will engage. 170 hours of moving 490 yards of loam, sand, gravel and silt. I use it all the time. If you use it on anything but dirt you will break it-I dont think its designed for rocky areas too.

/ 2310 diff-lock broke again
u got about 30 hrs or so left till she blows. dealer says u can only go straight in diff lock and pedal should engage sitting still, maybe the 2410 has a better lock, 2310 not strong enough. I only drive on dirt. major project.

100_6938.jpg