Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat)

/ Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat) #1  

tasilium

Tractor
Massey Fergusson 245, and a Farmall 140 (1971)
Hi any help is appreciated

During normal operating conditions my MF 245 (Diesel) began surging and dropping RPMs, I immediately drove the tractor back to the shed, parked it and as I got off I noticed coolant all over the front assembly, as it was getting dark and I have no extra light in my shed I wasn't able to determine the source of the leak. Was hoping for any insight from the more experienced folks on here.

(Note, I don't believe it matters but I was bushogging at the time)

Thanks

/ Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat) #2  
The worst the head gasket could probably going away, or maybe it's just water pump, wp gasket, or just a hose. Did you notice any white smoke out the exhaust?

/ Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat)
I didn't notice any white smoke, refilled the antifreeze and am going to take a look again today, will look for white smoke

also thanks for the reply

Just cranked her up for a few minutes and yep there is a whitish smoke, with a real rich scent that isn't normally present....

/ Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat) #6  
Since you have whitish smoke, and coolant loss I'd say the head gasket is going away. When the head gasket is going away it will also pressurize the cooling system, and push coolant out the overflow of the radiator.

thanks..:) I had thought it could be the headgasket..was hoping it was something simple...

As an update I did replace the hoses surrounding the waterpump after finding that one was cracked and leaking..refilled with coolant..white smoke was barely visible after cranking and tractor ran fine for about an hour (no smoke)...then it did the surging thing again and died. Wouldn't restart, checked oil and there isn't a milky color to the oil, also checked coolant for signs of oil (none). When it died it seemed like it ran out of fuel, but I have plenty of diesel in the tank, I am considering replacing the fuel filter asap, and seeing if that gets me anywhere as I had been using some older diesel that is in a large tank here on the property..perhaps its 'dirty'.

Thanks for your input, and would welcome more at anytime.

/ Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat) #8  
Sounds like you got some diesel with some water in it (it will make whitish smoke out the exhaust, and the engine rpm surge). I'd drain the entire fuel system (look for water, and other junk), change all the fuel filters, put fresh fuel in it, then bleed it real good.

/ Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat) #9  
Hi any help is appreciated

During normal operating conditions my MF 245 (Diesel) began surging and dropping RPMs, I immediately drove the tractor back to the shed, parked it and as I got off I noticed coolant all over the front assembly, as it was getting dark and I have no extra light in my shed I wasn't able to determine the source of the leak. Was hoping for any insight from the more experienced folks on here.

(Note, I don't believe it matters but I was bushogging at the time)

Thanks

Does your pto engage easily? Have no advice for the leak. If pto engages hard, you may be running the brush hog too fast for the gear and terrain you are covering.

Starkiller Hollow Dad (dumb as dirt)

/ Engine RPM Surges also loss of coolant (possible overheat) #10  
update on the fuel filter change?