GC1705 rear PTO

/ GC1705 rear PTO #1  

RDG

Tractor
Kubota B7800,BX2660
My father in law just bought a new Massey GC1705. He plans on using it for mowing, chipping and running a pto driven generator. We were looking at it today, and can't figure out how to run the rear pto without having to sit on the drivers seat, or mechanically bypass the seat's safety switch. With my BX kubota, I just tilt the seat forward. That hits another safety switch, which allows the rear pto to function without the operator sitting on the seat. I can't believe Massey wouldn't design a bypass of some sort, but I can't find anything in the manual. Any ideas?

/ GC1705 rear PTO #2  
I had the same issue with my GC2400. I just flipped the switch under the seat so its always in the run position.

/ GC1705 rear PTO #3  
You could also use a simple jumper wire. That's what I do when it gets so cold --and the seat gets so hard-- that my relatively light weight can't trip the $#@$#^ seat safety switch. :laughing:

Seat Jumper Wire.JPG

/ GC1705 rear PTO #4  
I am not sure exactly but I'm sure there is a certain combination that works. What have you tried so far? be sure the hst is centered perfectly.
I would try starting up the tractor without sitting in it. make sure the pto is rear only, not mmm and rear. then engage pto.
If that dont work, what about lifting the seat up or forward and starting up the tractor that way and then engage pto?
does the massey have a parking brake safety switch? is this engaged?
Maybe the gear selector needs to be neutral?

/ GC1705 rear PTO
Thanks guys. I tried everything I could think of. I emailed agco, but they wouldn't help. Just referred me to the dealer. The dealer my fatherinlaw bought the tractor from is about an hour drive. I guess I'll bypass the switch when I need it. My concern is my father-in-law wants to permanently bypass it. He is over 80 years old, and my 13 year old son also drives the tractor. I definitely don't want that switch permanently bypassed! Agco should address this in the owners manual.

/ GC1705 rear PTO #6  
try setting the parking brake,report back with your results

/ GC1705 rear PTO #7  
I just used a plastic tie to hold the switch lever down. I can always cut the tie off to restore it the way it was. Your seat switch might not be the same as mine thought.

/ GC1705 rear PTO #8  
Are you sure that if the transmission is in neutral on the right side that the tractor will shut down if you come off the seat? We are now selling Massey Ferguson tractors and have a GC1705 in stock. I have yet to do anything with the PTO so I can't say for sure. I do know for sure that if you leave the transmission in high or low range and try to get off of it, it will shut the tractor down. If you move the transmission range to neutral than it will not. Try it out and let me know.

Thanks,

Tyler vanKippersluis
Kings Equipment
Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada

/ GC1705 rear PTO #9  
Not sure about current models, but if I'm running either the mid-PTO mower deck or the front-mount blower on my 2310, the tractor will definitely shut down if I lift off the seat, whether the transmission is in gear or in neutral. Both the PTO control and transmission have to be in neutral in order for the engine to continue running. ijk

/ GC1705 rear PTO
I've tried everything again. I can't believe Massey overlooked this design flaw.