So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!?

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #1  

son of man

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1030
What's good TBN?

I been reading posts and scouring craigslist for months trying to find a tractor to bush hog approx. 4 acres of pasture land. Well I recently contacted my local TYM dealer to get some recommendations. The owner told me one of his long time customers just purchased a bigger tractor and was selling his '85 MF 1030 with Big Bee Agri-five bush hog for $2750. The seller accepted $2500 cash and the next day I drove to her new home. It was less than 2.5 miles but felt like FOREVER - probably since this was my first time driving a tractor and I used medium gear most of the trip. Ever seen a black man hold up traffic going 1.7 mph on a tractor? My wife kept passing by and making fun of me, telling me hurry up. :laughing: We eventually made it home where she's been parked ever since, which brings me to my question... what do I do now?

She has a little over 1500 hours and starts quickly with a little puff of smoke. According to the seller, he purchased her new almost 30 years ago and the only problems are the fuel gauge is inaccurate, some of the lights don't work and the right brake sticks a little. He told me the bush hog was sharpened last year and suggested I change the oil (the date on the filter says 2010). However, I decided to change all the fluids and filters.

The transmission oil is barely visible at the bottom of the dipstick. I'm not sure what's in there now but the manual recommends Permatran III or SAE 80 GL-3 GL-4. The closest dealer is 78 miles so I'm trying to find an equivalent locally. I'm leaning towards Traveller's brand UTF at TSC? Can anyone vouch for it or suggest something better? They also carry Traveller's RENEW for older tractors. However, I'm not sure if '84 is considered an old tractor? As for engine oil, the manual recommends Multiguard or equivalent meeting or exceeding MIL-L-46152 requirements, API Service "CC/SE" in appropriate viscosity: 40 deg. F and above - SAE 30W, 10W-30. Below 40 deg. F - SAE 10W-30. However, it also mentions 15W-40 may be used in ambient temperatures above 14 deg. F. I'm leaning towards Rotella but unsure whether I should get 10W-30 synthetic or 15W-40?

My wife bought a tube of Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Grease. However, the manual recommends M-1105 or equivalent lithium based grease No. 2. Therefore, I think I should get Lucas Red 'N Tacky #2 or some other kind? However, since I already loaded up the tube, perhaps I can still use it for my ztr? I bought a gallon of Peak 50/50 antifreeze/coolant. Do I need to figure out how to drain out the old or just pour in the new? Other than checking the tire pressure, is there anything else I need to do? I appreciate any and all input. Thanks and God bless!

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #2  
Welcome & congrats on your purchase! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #3  
1 .reg. 15w 40 rotella is fine in your area
2. I would flush the radiator with a good cleaner and then add new antifreeze if you have no idea when it was last changed 50/50 is fine ----check all the hoses also
3.try and match what the manual suggests along with a good filter for your tranny
4. I would want to check on the brakes

Sounds like you had a good ride , is the tractor gas or diesel . If a diesel a puff of black smoke on start up is normal .

I'm sure others will chime in , some of which may or have had that make of tractor .

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #4  
Try some lube on the brake peddle linkage. A lot of times that take care of it.

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #5  
The grease that your wife purchased is just fine for the tractor.

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #6  
Good Evening Son of Man,
Thats a great little tractor, I have the big brother to your machine the MF 1040 for the past 10 years, and it has been a very dependable machine !

Most any good grade transmission hydraulic oil will work fine, I believe I used Hytran when I changed mine.

Attachments

• 100_4703.jpg
    100_4703.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 445
   / So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #7  
Greetings. I too have a Massey Ferguson. Mine is a 1035 and a few years newer. All things considered I believe you got a good machine for a great price. FYI some replacement parts can be difficult to find but with some time spent searching the internet it isn't impossible. It never hurts to change out fluids and filters so at least you know for sure when they were done. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #8  
i believe you will like that one. my 1986 (bought new) has been a fine preformer for me with little or no problems.

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!?
Thanks for all the input and encouragement! I'm looking forward to getting the old girl ready for action. I finally found some time over the weekend to show her a little TLC.

Pretty much everyone suggested I go with 15w-40. One of the dealers recommended Permatran III but advised I could use any UTF that met the specs. A couple of dealers also carried other brands, some of which I was unfamiliar. However, I stuck with Traveller's Premium. I also went with full strength Traveller's antifreeze so I wouldn't have to buy 2 gallons of the pre-diluted 50/50. One of the guys at NAPA put me on some kind of special program which enabled me buy all of my filters for almost half price.

So far so good right? Well this is where the snags start...

I used a crescent wrench to remove the transmission and one of the oil drain plugs. However, I suspect King Kong may have tightened the second one. I started to strip the bolt so I bought a 7/8 in. socket for my ratchet. It fit snug and I could feel the whole tractor rock. But regardless of how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to budge. So as much as I hated to, I ended up changing the oil as-is. I also used a pair of pliers to turn the fuel shut-off valve since the little lever was broken. Isn't the handle supposed to stick out, forming a 90 deg. angle to shut off the fuel? Well, regardless of which way I turned it, diesel kept pouring out! I eventually lost all that was in the tank. :mad: Furthermore, the new fuel filter would not fit into the sediment bowl. I read somewhere they have a tendency to shrink over time which would explain why I had to pry out the bottom of the old filter with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I also tore the new filter as I tried to force it in. My wife thought it would still be ok but I have my doubts. I let her idle a while before topping off all the fluids. However, once she stretched her legs in the field, there was a noticeable loss of power. I couldn't always get the engine speed high enough to operate the pto. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. However, I suspect it might have something to do with the half bent/chewed up fuel filter on life support inside the sediment bowl.:confused3: I found a replacement kit online for about $13 that includes a filter, sediment bowl and o-ring. I need to find the site again. But next time, I will get one of those flexible funnels so I don't lose another tank of diesel.

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #10  
I can't address all the issues you outlined, but I'd agree with your assessment that you should re-replace the fuel filter.

Also, put that adjustable crescent wrench away. You got a good deal on your tractor. Use a little of the money you saved to buy a decent socket set. You'll need SAE up to 1 1/4", in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive plus combination wrenches. If your tractor has metric fasteners too, add 'em to the list. It's cheaper to buy sets than individual pieces as you need them. Tell your wife that your sorry, but the tools to work on the tractor aren't optional. Save your receipts and write off the expenses if you can.