Vaaljapie can't start

/ Vaaljapie can't start #1  

Willsk

Tractor
Massey Ferguson
i own a vaaljapie tractor, all along have been working , it has a battery , 622 22v 50ah, i have just put in a new battery 622 12v 58ah , the problem is that when i try to start it , it cranks but will not start fully, anyone with an idea on the problem?

/ Vaaljapie can't start #2  
Welcome to TBN! Do you know which Massey-Ferguson (or Ferguson) model your Vaaljapie is similar to? Is it a gasoline engine or a diesel engine?

Could you be more specific about "not start fully"? (Does it fire at all? Does it start but then stop?)

This would help to diagnose your problem, perhaps. There are many on this forum who are very familiar with older Massey-Ferguson tractors who I'm sure could help.

irvingj

/ Vaaljapie can't start #3  
The new battery is only have the volts required from the previous battery. Put another battery in serie via jumper cables and see if you can get it started. The 12v battery will not turn the engine over nearly fast enough as the 22v battery.

/ Vaaljapie can't start
My tractor is similar to TEA20 , runs on gasoline engine, when you turn on the keys , makes a sound as if about to start just like that, it does not start, not sure whether it's firing or not as iam not very familiar

/ Vaaljapie can't start #5  
I think he probably has a typo with the 22V battery requirement. If so he should do the normal battery trouble shooting. Check battery voltage. Check and clean all connections from battery to starter. Check to see if the starter is getting hot when trying to start. Also do the batteries in series connection to see if the problem is reduced or fixed. That will emphasize the starter issue(s).

My guess is loose or dirty connection, bad battery or bad starter.

/ Vaaljapie can't start #6  
wiriai, does "makes a sound as if about to start just like that" mean that it "cranks" -- What kind of sound? Does the starter make the engine rotate, or are you hearing a rapid "clicking" sound but the engine does not rotate? If the latter is the case, the starter is not getting enough voltage. Could be battery, but most likely electrical connections. Agree with blackd- do the normal battery/electrical checks.

Also, was the original battery really 22 volts, or was that a typo like blackd thought?

If you have the capability to attach photos, that would be a big help.

ijk

/ Vaaljapie can't start
There was a typo error voltage in 12 V, the engine actually rotates, the starter gets hot when trying to start, could it be the plugs? because i haven't checked

/ Vaaljapie can't start #8  
OK, so the battery is 12V, you have a new one, engine cranks, but… any noise at all indicating firing? Any puffing out of the exhaust?

Keep in mind-- it's not good to run the starter for more than 15 seconds or so- they will get hot, and may suffer internal damage if they're run too long. Starters are only designed for short-duration running.

Perhaps first thing you could do, if you have no indication of firing, is to pull a plug wire, and, holding it with gloves, hold the spark plug wire about 2 cm from the end of the plug (or some other grounded metal part) and have someone crank for a few seconds. What you'd like to see is a good spark jumping from the plug wire to the metal of the engine. You might also be able to hear it "snapping." I often use a #2 phillips screwdriver inserted into the end of the plug wire for this, if the wire has a deep rubber cap on the end.

Or, you could pull a plug out of the engine, re-attach the plug wire to it, and touch the base of the plug to the metal block of the engine -- but NOT near the spark plug hole, as there may be fuel in there that could ignite-- and again look for indication of a spark inside the spark plug gap at the bottom.

If you get no spark, the problem is most likely in the ignition circuit; if you do see spark, start checking to make sure you have fuel getting to the cylinders.

/ Vaaljapie can't start
Yes there is a noise when you turn on the keys but no puffing from the exhaust

/ Vaaljapie can't start #10  
OK, it sounds as though it's not firing at all. Try the spark test to see if there's enough electricity getting to the plugs to cause a visible spark.

ijk