I have a Massey Ferguson 383
It will crank but won't start!!!!
Changed the fuel filter, bled the fuel lines,
Will run a few seconds with starting fluid,
I unscrewed the bleeder screw on top and it ran but
When I tighten it up tractor died !
Can any one please help clueless now

/ Help Massey Ferguson 383 will crank but won't run #2  
I think you still have air. Try bleeding it again. You may need to do it a couple times. You may need to bleed the filter and then loosen a line to an injector to get it all out. Do you have the owners manual that tells how to bleed it? Did you change the filter as normal maintenance or was there a problem?

/ Help Massey Ferguson 383 will crank but won't run #3  
I would loosen the injector lines at the injectors to the point diesel drips out when cranking over. Do not take loose, just loosen them. After fuel is dripping, tighten them back up

/ Help Massey Ferguson 383 will crank but won't run
Changed the filter cause it would not start, no I bought it a John Deere a few years back so I don't have a owner manual, on the old filter when I took it off, it had like gummy looking stuff on it, but was not sticky but I have bleed it a lot to where diesel drips I have let it drip a bit to make sure that the air is out,

Last edited:
I did that I am to the point of clueless ,
I have bled every fuel line to each injectors
How much pressure is it suppose to have when it cranks over ?

Last edited:
   / Help Massey Ferguson 383 will crank but won't run #6  
on the old filter when I took it off, it had like gummy looking stuff on it,

Did any of this possibly not get cleaned up and make it through the pump to the injectors?

/ Help Massey Ferguson 383 will crank but won't run #7  
I did that I am to the point of clueless ,
I have bled every fuel line to each injectors
How much pressure is it suppose to have when it cranks over ?

There should be thousands of PSI but at low volume, so cracking the injector nut does not mean it will spray all over. I am wondering if the injectors have been contaminated. So when you started, it was just to change the fuel filter in hopes of getting the engine running? I am wondering if you have something else wrong. Was running poorly before, or just quit?

Sorry yes I do have an owners manual, forgot but yes I know how to bleed it

/ Help Massey Ferguson 383 will crank but won't run #9  
On our Massey Ferguson 375, after a fuel interruption like running out or changing the fuel filter, you must build up pressure via a thumb operated pump, I think it's on top of the engine on the right side, haven't had to do it in years, my brother now uses it. It takes a LOT of pumping.

No it was running great,, nothing wrong with it then I had a hydraulic hose to bust so it set two weeks before I got that fixed,, then started it and put out hay it ran fine, put fuel in it put hay out a day or so after that it ran great then a couple of days later went to start it it just cranked over and would not start, the fuel bowl was clean had a few drops of water in the bottom so I bought a new filter cause it was time to change it any ways ,, I did so still won't start I bleed all the lines ,, till fuel would just dripped out,, and on your question a out that stuff making it passed the filter , I guess any thing is possible ;)
How hard is it to check the pump????? Or check to find out if any thing got in it or to the injectors ?
Thank you for all your help I really appreciate every bit of info and help