Oil & Fuel HYDRAULIC FLUID

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID #1  

phil burckhalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
massey 135
hi guys,
I purchased a gc 2300 massey, the owner didn't have the manuals. the hydraulic fluid is low. not having a manual, I am not sure if generic hydro fluid is ok for the system or does massey specify a special fluid? also how do I know when it is full?

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID #2  
hi guys,
I purchased a gc 2300 massey, the owner didn't have the manuals. the hydraulic fluid is low. not having a manual, I am not sure if generic hydro fluid is ok for the system or does massey specify a special fluid? also how do I know when it is full?

The manual specifies Permatran3, or equivalent.

You will find that the generic hydraulic transmission fluid will specify that it is a substitute for Permatran 3.

So will the Kubota fluid, and the Case fluid.

I would suggest you either buy the real Permatran 3, from the dealer, or use Amsoil ATH synthetic.

You will need a 5 gallon pail.

It takes about 4.5 gallons.

It's full when you see fluid in the window, with the tractor level.

There are no generic hydraulic filters.

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID
thanks ray, so there is a window. i didnt see it but will look again. i am assuming that the add point is right on top of the hydro unit, the screw in cap. i noticed i have a small leak coming from the joystick, the up spool. wondering if there is an o ring that i can replace?
last week i worked the poor tractor to death, we had 6 + feet of snow, in four days i put about 30 hours on it plowing. for not being a big tractor, it did a great job, it came with a 4' bucket, i retrofitted a 61'' bucket from john deere that worked great in the snow. tractor is earning its keep quick

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID #4  
If you don't know how to tell when it is full , how did you determine it is low? (just curious)

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID #5  
thanks ray, so there is a window. i didnt see it but will look again. i am assuming that the add point is right on top of the hydro unit, the screw in cap. i noticed i have a small leak coming from the joystick, the up spool. wondering if there is an o ring that i can replace?
last week i worked the poor tractor to death, we had 6 + feet of snow, in four days i put about 30 hours on it plowing. for not being a big tractor, it did a great job, it came with a 4' bucket, i retrofitted a 61'' bucket from john deere that worked great in the snow. tractor is earning its keep quick

Yes, and yes.

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID #6  
DSC05474.JPGDSC03409.JPG

Phil, there's the window, just to the left of the rear PTO output shaft. Fill point is at top, at the end of the rubber extension tube. Yes, a screw-on cap.

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID
I really didnt know if i was low, it was about 3 to 4 inches down. i know with old tractors, that it should be filled to the top, and that it leaks out of one the spools, i knew it was down, just didnt know much, thanks for the photos. yesterday i ordered a on line service manual for $ 29.00. it is pretty good, hopefully i will pull some good information from that.

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID
hi again, glad you guys steered me in the right direction, on the hydraulic oil. i called massey and they did say not to use the generic hydro oil, as it is missing the needed additives. there is a kit for the loader joy stick spools. i was surprised that they have the kits in stock.

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID #9  
I am not going to say you can't run generic fluid, because some do. And, your dealer can't possibly know what additives are in, or not in any given product. They are not going to usually recommend anything they don't sell.

It's not really that much more money to run Permatran, Kubota SDUT, or Amsoil. They are very good quality, and I can guarantee you will not have issues with them.

Amsoil, though the most expensive, can be the most cost effective, because you can leave it in longer. And, when you read the cold weather warm up times, for the Permatran, you will probably wish you used the Amsoil synthetic.

I also suggest you buy 2 quarts of EP 80-90w synthetic gear oil for the front axle. It's not absolutely necessary, but, it's cheap insurance.

/ HYDRAULIC FLUID
great advice about the amsoil, being it can get to minus 10 here. where can i purchase it? napa?, and yes i will buy the 80-90 w being that the right seal is leaking slightly