GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position?

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #1  

ChrisInKY

Tractor
MF GC1705
With or without the mower, when the mower arms are raised to full up, if I adjust the knob to lock they still go down if I try to lower the 3pt arms.

Dropped it at the dealer today and they said they've never seen one that worked - they are looking into it - but anyone that owns one - does yours work?

Thanks,
Chris

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #2  
Nope, no works on my 1710.

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #3  
Chris, which knob are you referring to?

The knob to lock the mower deck arms up (at least on my 2310) is simply a threaded rod and a captive nut, beneath the floor. It's marked as "mower deck height." Turning the mower deck height adjustment knob fully clockwise (zero height) will hold the MMM arms up, but still allow the 3PH arms to drop when the 3PH control lever is moved to the down position.

The other knob goes to a hydraulic valve and prevents back flow to hold the 3PH in the UP position (which will also prevent the MMM arms from dropping, too). They are two separate controls.

In the pic, the 3PH hydraulic closing valve is on the left, mounted more or less horizontally, and the MMM height adjustment knob is to the right, coming up out of the floor, with the "+/-" symbols on it.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do, but on my tractor it's possible to lower the 3PH arms without the mower arms dropping, but NOT possible to lower the MMM without the 3PH arms ALSO dropping. Does this help? ijk

3pt hitch knob.JPG

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position?
Yes what you are describing is what my 1705 WONT do.

I want to use the deck height knob turned to max height (the LOCK icon) as shown on the tractor, and detailed in the manual. I expect the deck to stay up then when I lower the 3ph but it doesn't.

I'm hoping it's an adjustment and not an oversight on the new ones.

Chris

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #5  
Wow, that is weird. Oh- guess I should have said "zero drop/MAX height."

On my tractor, that threaded rod passes through the floor, then through a hole in a bracket-type piece on the forward most of the arms that connect the left side with the right side during raise/drop (it has no grease fitting). In the service manual pic, you can also see a short cylinder that the threaded rod passes through, which is inside a slotted section of that bracket. Very much like the adjustment rod on the rear mechanical brakes of a motorcycle.

At the bottom, it's held by a washer, a nut, and followed by a jamb nut. In the photo, it's kinda upside down, looking up at it from beneath the tractor. It's just inboard of the left side of the frame. In the shot from the service manual, it's #3, on the far right.

Any possibility yours has somehow become detached? As far as I know, the "hold up" feature is strictly mechanical. Almost sounds as if the nut(s) or that short cylinder aren't there.

DSC05482.JPGDSC05479.JPG

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position?
Thanks for the time - the dealer called and said that the deck will drop some, not all the way, but a few inches in lock mode - does yours do that?

Thanks for the pic of the FSM page!

Chris

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #7  
Yes what you are describing is what my 1705 WONT do.

I want to use the deck height knob turned to max height (the LOCK icon) as shown on the tractor, and detailed in the manual. I expect the deck to stay up then when I lower the 3ph but it doesn't.

I'm hoping it's an adjustment and not an oversight on the new ones.

Chris

Look on your lift arms, the left one and the right one, you will probably see a bronze rod attached to each running forward. When you raise the 3ph force is placed on the bronze rods, pulling them to the rear. Since your mower is stationery and secured by the front attachment, this forces the mower deck upward. Lower the 3ph and the lift arms relax the rearward pressure, and the mower deck goes down. Tightening the knob underneath the seat will lock the mower deck and 3ph arms in the up position. The only way to operate both separately is to install a independent lifting and lowering system for the mowing deck.

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #8  
Thanks for the time - the dealer called and said that the deck will drop some, not all the way, but a few inches in lock mode - does yours do that? Thanks for the pic of the FSM page! Chris

Yup, in the locked position the mower still lowers some, just not all the way. At least on mine.

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #9  
Ask your dealer to contact MF - there is a solution for this. Basically need to weld in a spacer or shim onto the linkage and it resolves the issue. I was told they are working on a more permanent solutiuion.

/ GC1705 - Mower Deck Height Adjustment - Won't Lock in the up position? #10  
I have a GC 1705 and it will not lock in the up position.