Chains Had to put the front chains on

/ Had to put the front chains on #1  

Toddao

Gold Member
Tractor
GC2410TLB
Have studded chains and the backhoe on ,and was trying to up this slight hill in the back yard. The hill is on an angle sloping away from where I wanted to go, I thought it would be not problem, but in 4wd the front end was just starting to slide down hill and not in a direction I wanted or needed to go!. I stopped backed up and put the 2 link twist chains for the fronts on. Tried again it it was much better, I think the tractor is just not heavy enough at times,. You can see my tracks in the pics

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Attachments

• image-3243388900.jpg
    image-3243388900.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 216
  • image-1054058787.jpg
    image-1054058787.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 259
   / Had to put the front chains on #2  
Yup, i started using front chains 3 years ago

/ Had to put the front chains on #3  
You might have been able to do it if you did not have the backhoe on. But it is a tough job anyway.

/ Had to put the front chains on #5  
I had to take my BH off the first winter because it was much too heavy to go up any hills going forward, although I have a steep paved drive. I then built a cement drum and that is even very heavy but much better.

Aren't you guys worried about front chains in 4wd?

/ Had to put the front chains on #6  
Aren't you guys worried about front chains in 4wd?

I've been wanting to add front chains to my tractor lately, and I really don't see the problem in it, as long as your mindful of when you use 4wd (only when you need it) and 2wd. However, I'll be following along as I'm interested in what others have to say as well.

I have rear chains, and I find (especially on the steep hills we have here in the lakes region!) that my front tires are really not that helpful in many situations. I find I have to use my steering brakes often in certain circumstances, and, since I have an older Kubota, where for some reason they thought it was a good idea to put the steering brakes on the right, it's really not too convenient. (I won't get started on how stupid Kubota is for doing this :D)

/ Had to put the front chains on #7  
Ditto what others have said, Toddao. I also have a steep (uphill from the house) paved driveway.

Although the BH is great for traction, I found the steering close to totally unresponsive going uphill. Finally tried it without the BH, and --voila! Works much better now, and also easier to maneuver in tight spaces. You should try it. It made a heck of a difference for me, and I have unloaded turf tires. ijk

/ Had to put the front chains on #8  
   / Had to put the front chains on #9  
OK, so now it's my turn. I have a good 10" + of very wet, heavy snow; it's been raining lightly for the last several hours… and I can't get all the way up my driveway.

The blower did surprisingly well on the lower, flat sections, but now I'm trying to figure out how to put chains on. I'll get it, eventually, but right now my fingers are pretty numb. Back at it after a warm-up. Glad I at least have chains to put on, at least.

/ Had to put the front chains on #10  
Since front loader remove for down pressure,try jacking the front end up just enough slide chains under...lot quicker.