Thermostart use - starter stops working

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #1  

TennFire

I am trying to figure out a symptom on a MF250 with cold weather starting. At temperatures below 35 or so, it does not want to start when cranked. I have replaced the thermostart and confirmed its getting hot. I have a new starter switch. When I turn key to run, there is also what appears to be a spring resisted position before the crank position. If I apply the key to the springloaded tension (which I understood was how the thermostart works) for 30 seconds to a minute, I frequently have no starter response (no cranking not even a clicking from the solenoid). If I let the tractor sit for a few minutes, it seems it will crank.

Is there some trick to using the thermostart?

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #2  
Does that unit have some sort of delay timer reheat circuit that inter locks the starter?

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working
I have looked at available schematics as best I could and I don't know.

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #4  
Well, if you have the schematics, what's coming off key start and key heat positions. If there is a timer and relay from heat, does it interlock the start line?

If not, and start line is continuous, then I'd look at key and solenoid wording with an o meter, and test wires to see if there was a fault that was intermittent.

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #5  
Somewhere there is a loose connection. When you use the thermostart the connection heats up and adds enough resistance so that your starter can't get enough current to turn over. You let it sit for a few minutes and everything cools of enough that the starter will work again.

Next time this happens make double sure the tractor is in neutral or even better have a helper. While holding the key onto the start position have a helper tug on the main battery wires. The tractor should start cranking usually when you pull on the positive battery cable attached to the starter. Or another method that works is to try to crank and if it doesn't want to then touch your 4 connections. Both ends of the battery cables on positive and negative. Be careful you don't burn yourself as the one that's hot is the one that has resistance and is where your problem is.

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #6  
Could be the key switch itself heating after supplying thermo start.. but I would hope they use a relay, thus letting the key only carry field current for thermal aid

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #7  
The wiring diagram in my I&T manual shows the key supplying current directly to the thrmostart. There is no relay in the circuit. The electrical problem could also be in the key switch or the wires supplying power to the key switch.

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #8  
I'm not a huge fan of key switches sourcing big current draws...

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working #9  
But does it ignite the fuel? A thermostat it a small flamethrower if it works.

/ Thermostart use - starter stops working
Still working on this one. I replaced both the thermostart and the ignition switch over the summer hoping that replacing those two items would solve the problem. I do not recall seeing any relays at all. Since the starter solenoid never clicks while in the "thermostart position", I don't think the switch is charging the solenoid but I may put a test light on it to check that assumption. May just have to wire a few test lights into the circuit. May also look at bypassing the switch and running a new circuit for the thermostart that incorporates a relay and uses something like a horn button.