Broken differential lock on 1010 model

/ Broken differential lock on 1010 model #1  

coinoprus

Tractor
MF 1010
Just purchased this 1010 tractor and the only problem it has is a broken differential lock mechanism. The pedal just hanging in the lowest position with no tension up or down. Shaft just goes into the left side of the center housing. Pedal moves freely up and down but obviously doesn't function. I'm assuming something is broken with the lock linkage internally but would like to know if any one has an idea from experience what might have come undone, if this is a common problem and if I can find parts to fix it before I tear into it?

Thanks,
Lyle

/ Broken differential lock on 1010 model #2  
I have a 1010 and the pedal should be in the up position so that you have to force it down with the heel of your shoe to engage it.

If I were you, I'd purchase an I&T shop manual (not very expensive) and have a look at the diagram on the rear axle, then decide if you want to tackle this. You could also talk to a dealer about whether or not you can get the parts; that may make your decision for you. Some parts are getting hard to find.

I hardly ever use the diff lock on my tractor. If you don't think you'll need it and it isn't causing trouble, it might be best to leave it as is.

/ Broken differential lock on 1010 model #3  
I too have recently purchased a MF GC2300 knowing it had a diff lock problem. Hoping it would be a simple linkage fix, it turned into splitting the tractor

and the transmission case. The trans case had alot of metal in the bottom. I pull apart the differential and found a shattered gear along with other damaged

diff lock components.

First, I would check the linkage. Could be just a sheared roll pin, make sure the shaft that enters the trans case turns with the pedal linkage. Otherwise drain

the trans fluid and check for metal flecks. Possibly probe the bottom of the trans case with a magnet.

My GC2300 drove just fine, but the diff lock wouldnt engaged. I thought of just leaving it that way, but now glad that I didnt for obvious reasons.

/ Broken differential lock on 1010 model #4  
Just purchased this 1010 tractor and the only problem it has is a broken differential lock mechanism. The pedal just hanging in the lowest position with no tension up or down. Shaft just goes into the left side of the center housing. Pedal moves freely up and down but obviously doesn't function. I'm assuming something is broken with the lock linkage internally but would like to know if any one has an idea from experience what might have come undone, if this is a common problem and if I can find parts to fix it before I tear into it?

Thanks,
Lyle

Lyle,
You didn't mention whether or not you have a hydro trans or manual, but if you want / need to check for metal in the fluid, the drain plug is located at the bottom of the rear diff beneath the drawbar receiver.

If you change the fluid, be aware you won't likely get all of it out, so it won't take as much to refill it as you might think. I am pretty sure capacities differ between the two transmissions.

Best wishes and keep us posted.