Rear Blade Size

/ Rear Blade Size #1  

Mad Duck

Tractor
MF1540,MF205-4, BX2360
Looking to purchase a rear blade for my MF 1540 to do some ditch work. Spec for width on my tractor is 62". Since I will be likely working with the blade set at angle I'm wondering what would be best, a 6 foot that has offset capability or just getting a 7 foot. What would you recommend?

/ Rear Blade Size #2  
Welcome to TBN. Generally speaking - when using a rear blade, for whatever reason, weight will be your friend. The seven foot blade would probably be OK if all you were going to do is plow snow in your driveway. Recognizing that a seven foot blade is 22" beyond what the tractor specs recommend. However, if the blade will be used to create or maintain ditches then I would recommend the heaviest six foot you can find/afford. The six foot would put you back within 10" of factory recommended specs.
All this is based upon the assumption - if you go too big or too heavy or both, you definitely increase the chances of damage to the tractor.

I have found that my rear blade is not the best tool to maintain my driveway - in the summer. I have a heavy Land Pride rear blade but it still bounces along the driveway like a jumping jack. Its the perfect tool for winter snow plowing - but falls way short for summer gravel/dirt work.

I use a roll over box blade(ROBB) and a grading scraper for summer driveway maintenance. Both do an excellent job at smoothing & grading.

Just so you know - in the summer my gravel driveway becomes concrete. The wet spring causes it to set up and become almost impenetrable.

/ Rear Blade Size #3  
Take the rear wheel width of the tractor and add 15%. That will mean the blade will still cover your tracks when angled 30 degrees. I would not go narrower than that. Can go a little bit wider but not too wide.

/ Rear Blade Size #4  
I'm guessing that the tractor is 62" wide, not that that is the recommended implement width. I believe that the loader bucket is 66" wide. Your tractor weighs in about 4000-5000 pounds depending on how you have it outfitted. For a rear blade, your tractor will handle a 7 footer just fine. Need to get as heavy of a unit that you can afford. As has been mentioned, weight is your friend when grading.

I would look only at blades that have angle, tilt and offset capabilities, especially if you are going to be ditching with it. This would be the least that I would be looking at and this would be the best, (for me anyway.)

Good luck with your research and final decision.;)

/ Rear Blade Size
I'm guessing that the tractor is 62" wide, not that that is the recommended implement width....

Yes. My tractor is 62" wide according to the specifications in the manual. I wasn't sure if a 7 foot would be too big. Sounds like it will work well so that is what I will go with. Thanks.

/ Rear Blade Size #6  
Yes. My tractor is 62" wide according to the specifications in the manual. I wasn't sure if a 7 foot would be too big. Sounds like it will work well so that is what I will go with. Thanks.

Do you have any additional ballast? As in wheel weights or loaded tires. If you do, the 7 footer is perfect for your tractor, if not, I would still get a 7 footer, it will be a workout for the tractor though. ;)
Have you considered what brand of blade that you might want to get? Just wondering is all. :confused3:

/ Rear Blade Size
It is a TLB setup but I have no weights or loaded tires. I put in wildlife food plots and do some backhoe work with it. The FEL has always provided enough ballast for those jobs, but other than snow scraping with my other tractors I have no real rear blade use experience. So I may need to look into getting some extra weight when I take on this new task. I hadn't really thought about that, so thanks.

King Kutter has a facility that is located at my tractor dealer over in Ohio and the prices have always been much better there than what I see for the same equipment online. So I will probably take a look at their offerings as an option. I think they have a professional or heavy duty model that might be comparable to that land pride. I know there are 3 dealers not too far from me that carry land pride equipment, but they usually don't have anything actually in stock except for the subcompact sized equipment. Anytime I have ever inquired about something more sized for my 1540 Massey they tell me they will have to order it. Then they always just quote me the list price and those are pretty steep. I will ask about that blade you mentioned though. It looks like a good one.

/ Rear Blade Size #8  
Whatever blade you end up getting, be sure to get skid shoes with it. They really do help out, a lot more than I ever thought that they would. :thumbsup: I love my Land Pride blade, one of the better implement investments that I have made over the years. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 100
  • P5080012.JPG
    P5080012.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 125
   / Rear Blade Size
That sure is a nice looking setup you have there. Congrats.