Hydraulic independent PTO operation

/ Hydraulic independent PTO operation #1  

UncleBuck1

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 MF 2660HD; 1964 JD 4020 (may she rest in peace)
My 1964 Deere 4020 recently died and I just purchased a 2011 MF 2660HD to replace it. I doubt I will get 50 years of use out of it, but I want it to last as long as possible.

Maybe its a MF thing, or possibly just how manuals are written now, but the operators manual for my new tractor is not very detailed a leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Right now I'm trying to figure PTO operation out. On my old Deere the PTO was controlled by a 2' lever on the side of console that had 3 positions: forward was engaged, middle was disengaged and back was the brake. When I was running a light spreader and need to stop spreading at the end of a pass I would disengage and brake; when mowing I would disengage the PTO clutch and let it spin down before I put on the brake. It was an easy and user-friendly system.

Unlike the simple and straight forward mechanical system on the old school Deere, the PTO on the Massey is hydraulic and controlled by a 2 position lever- forward is engaged, back (and to the right, into a notch) is locked. As I understand it, when I push the lever forward hydraulic fluid routed to a piston that engages the clutch; when I pull the lever back the oil is redirected to a different piston that engages the PTO brake system. What appears to be missing is an intermediate "coast" position where the PTO is disengaged but not braked; unless the hydraulics have some sort of load sensing function (and for all I know there might be!) it seems like this is going to get an awful lot of unnecessary wear on the system when I run my cutter, which has a LOT of spinning mass (heavy blades, 3/4" steel stump jumper).

Is this something I need to worry about? Did the Massey engineers address this and just not bother to mention it in the operators manual? Bottom line, I'm looking for advice on how other MF users handle PTO disengagement when running implements with a lot of spinning mass.

/ Hydraulic independent PTO operation
Not specific to your machine, but most modern independent PTO setup are the same, my last two Kubotas were and I got use to the transition from my older tractors.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/.../177989-disengage-pto-before-idling-down.html

Thanks, the big take-away from that thread was to lower your engine RPM's before disengaging the PTO, which is precisely what the MF operator's manual says.

I presently only run only 2 PTO driven implements, a spin spreader and a 7' rotary cutter. I've seen over-riding clutch couplers that slip on the PTO shaft- would that save wear and tear when mowing?

/ Hydraulic independent PTO operation #4  
Thanks, the big take-away from that thread was to lower your engine RPM's before disengaging the PTO, which is precisely what the MF operator's manual says.

I presently only run only 2 PTO driven implements, a spin spreader and a 7' rotary cutter. I've seen over-riding clutch couplers that slip on the PTO shaft- would that save wear and tear when mowing?

I didn't reread it, but thought there was also a discussion on PTO braking too.

Your tractor should have an over running clutch built in, we have the PTO shaft mounted over running clutch on our older tractors with transmission driven PTOs, so I don't really see the need on your tractor.

I run a 6' cutter with my Kubota L5740 and 10' with the M8540 and they, like yours is designed to stand up to the uses you describe.

TractorData.com - Power Take-Off

/ Hydraulic independent PTO operation #5  

Your tractor should have an over running clutch built in, we have the PTO shaft mounted over running clutch on our older tractors with transmission driven PTOs, so I don't really see the need on your tractor.

I run a 6' cutter with my Kubota L5740 and 10' with the M8540 and they, like yours is designed to stand up to the uses you describe.

/ Hydraulic independent PTO operation #6  

/ Hydraulic independent PTO operation #7