Need Fuel Filter Help from 1240, 1250, or 1260 Owners

/ Need Fuel Filter Help from 1240, 1250, or 1260 Owners #1  

Venturabass

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310SE
First the background. I have a Massey Ferguson 1240 compact tractor and I'm having some fuel filter issues. The inlet fuel line goes into the filter head with a metal 90 degree fitting. The last time I changed the filter I noticed this inlet fitting was able to rotate. When I put it all back together the inlet fitting popped out of the filter head and fuel started pouring everywhere.
2012-11-17_10-31-50_395.jpg2012-11-17_10-32-53_54.jpg2012-11-17_10-33-15_838.jpg

The inlet fitting looks like it should have some sort of o-rings but it doesn't, and my dealer told me it doesn't. It's not suppose to rotate in the head from what I understand. Since this issue I've just zip-tied the inlet fuel line so the fitting doesn't pop out of the filter head. It doesn't leak, but it slowly wets all my fuel lines and everything so it's time to fix the issue.

I finally was able to track down a used fuel filter assembly from a tractor salvage yard. It came off a Massey Ferguson 1260, and is the same part number: 3756671M91. However the inlet 90 degree fitting points upwards, where as on mine it points downward. The fuel line runs horizontal to the front of the tractor along the frame, and then turns upward to connect to my existing filter. All the diagrams in my factory repair manuals also show this fitting pointing downward.
MF 1260 Fuel Filter Assy.JPG

I'm rather confused why this filter assembly off a 1260 (almost the same tractor) would have the fitting pointing upward, especially when its the same part number as what I have. So if there is anyone out there with a model 1240, 1250, or especially a 1260, could the check what the orientation of the inlet 90 degree fitting is to their fuel filter?

Also does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a way to rotate the fitting without ruining the seal?

/ Need Fuel Filter Help from 1240, 1250, or 1260 Owners #2  
I would tend to believe that fitting should have been welded, soldered, somehow and have have been a manufacture screwup. If that is the case then no way are you going to turn the other. One down. I'm wonder if a guy could tap your old one and use a threaded fitting in place of it. Just an idea. My 1526 looks like you filter housing as well. I'll have to look at it closer to see. Welcome to TBN

/ Need Fuel Filter Help from 1240, 1250, or 1260 Owners #3  
Is it possible that that fitting is just a press/interference fit? The filter assy on my 2310 is similar, though both fuel line nipples point outward horizontally. The head itself is very similar. My guess is that the filter mfr uses one "universal" head and then presses the 90 degree nipples into it as required for a particular application… but that's a guess. Does the nipple on the other side look the same?

If it's a press fit, maybe some fuel resistant glue of some sort? Alternatively, perhaps you could try heating up the filter head on the used one you got, to see if that nipple will pull out. If that works, I bet you could just press it back in with the downward orientation, let it cool down, and be done with it.

/ Need Fuel Filter Help from 1240, 1250, or 1260 Owners
Well I spoke to 2 different dealers today. One seemed to think that the older models had the fuel tank behind the seat (like mine), and the newer ones had it up front where the fuel line went downward right into the filter. Neither dealer saw any issue with bringing a new fuel line in and just making a loop to go right into the top of the filter head, vs. the bottom.

I think irvingj is right about "one filter assy" and just different inlet fittings or different orientations for each application.

/ Need Fuel Filter Help from 1240, 1250, or 1260 Owners #5  
Yeah I don't think it would matter as long as it doesn't leak. Mine is out the side on both sides but it does have a different part number. It is probably a little smaller but it sure doesn't look like it looking at the pictures. I still think there is probably a way to fix the other one. At least you will have a spare just in case. Not often those go bad anyway.

/ Need Fuel Filter Help from 1240, 1250, or 1260 Owners
I agree with you Radrock. In fact I had one senior Massey mechanic tell me he's seen my problem with the fitting coming out of the head. He's always just epoxied back in with JB Weld and never had any return problems. I will probably do this with the old one but its just nice to have another to swap out in the meantime.

My next door neighbor has a 1529. I would agree he has the same filter assembly just about, but the whole unit is just slightly smaller in size.