A new tractor owner

/ A new tractor owner #1  

Zerker

Tractor
2012 Massey Ferguson 2615
Hello! I just purchased my first tractor last week. Its a 2010 MF 2615. I got it on the recommendation from the dealer. I also purchased a Woods 74 inch tiller with it.

After driving it around the yard and getting used to the controls of a tractor I went in and tilled the garden. After a bit of a learning curve i finished it and it turned out pretty good. Much better then using a puny walk behind tiller that would take all day with many breaks and being sore the next day.

I have a few things that i cant seem to figure out yet with the tractor. And since i dont know anyone with a tractor i was hoping i could come on here and ask beginner questions.

The brakes seem to not work so well. When i am just driving it and i hit the brakes the tractor just seems to keep on going. I have to stomp on both the clutch and the brakes to get it to stop. Is this correct operation or should I change the brakes? I was thinking about this when i was tilling also. It seemed like i needed to put the brakes on to slow the tractor down while tilling but when i hit the brakes the tractor just kept moving along. The dirt was soft so it wasnt much trouble, but will i be able to till unbroken ground going that fast?

Would an override clutch be a good safety device to purchase? I feel like there may have been a better tractor that i could have purchased but i do really like this one. Probably because its my first. I likely will have more questions later but the braking is my main concern right now as i want to hopefully till about a 1/4 acre of unbroken ground this week. I'm not sure if i will be able to accomplish that or not. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

/ A new tractor owner #2  
From your description you have a MANUAL gearbox. You MUST step on the clutch then the brakes to stop. If you use brakes only you will have to stall the engine to stop.
If you have only driven an automatic gearbox car then be aware you will need to learn a different set of driving reflexes for this tractor.
If in doubt then READ THE MANUAL. As it is your first tractor you have a lot to learn.
The tractor itself is very reliable.
Lastly welcome to TBN. There will be plenty of advise avalible if you ask. Have fun and keep safe.

/ A new tractor owner #3  
From your description you have a MANUAL gearbox. You MUST step on the clutch then the brakes to stop. If you use brakes only you will have to stall the engine to stop.
If you have only driven an automatic gearbox car then be aware you will need to learn a different set of driving reflexes for this tractor.
If in doubt then READ THE MANUAL. As it is your first tractor you have a lot to learn.
The tractor itself is very reliable.
Lastly welcome to TBN. There will be plenty of advise avalible if you ask. Have fun and keep safe.

Maybe I could explain this a little differently. If the user has a manual gearbox . . . Pushing on the clutch DISENGAGES the motor and then pressing on the brakes stops the tractor.

If you don't press in the clutch . . Then your motor is trying to keep the tractor going and you are fighting the braking/stopping process.

/ A new tractor owner #4  
:welcome:
To TBN Zerker. I have a manual transmission and using the lower gear range and gear should slow the tractor down but you will still have to use the clutch and brake to stop the tractor.

/ A new tractor owner #5  
Hullo AxleHub, Your explaination is neat and concise. Better than mine.

/ A new tractor owner #6  
Hullo AxleHub, Your explaination is neat and concise. Better than mine.

Greetings redman,

Not too often that AxleHub and the words "neat and concise" are used in the same sentence lol.