Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF

/ Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
We had a customer call in recently that said he owned a MF 175 that had the Multipower removed after it went out on the "high side" and now only operates with 8 forewards and 2 reverse and is quite happy with the performance. He says the mechanic went into the tranmission and removed or modified the multipower and welded a existing gear to the clutch pack. Has anyone ever heard of this proceedure? I cant picture exactly how this would work
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif --Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *Over 20 refurbished sickle bar mowers in stock*

/ Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF #2  
First of all a Multi-Power transmission has a high & low range with a 3 speed transmission, the clutch pack in the multi-power gives you a higher gear in each one of the transmission gears totaling 12 gears. If the multi-power clutch-pac goes out you can operate it as a 6 speed. Some people go to a wrecking yard and buy an strait 8 speed and replace the entire transmission.
Chuck M.

/ Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF #4  
Ken-In the past, alot of Multi-Power transmissions were taken out because of MF's parts prices were prohibitive to repair, so straight 8 speeds were purchased from salvage tractors and the entire transmission were replaced. Now because of competition with after market parts, it is cost effective to repair, quite reasonable actually. That 175 tractor (US built) is hard to beat for reliability, then and now.
Chuck M.

/ Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF
Chuck--I have a brother in law that has had one for 20 years + and it works hard every day and it has been an exceptional tractor--Did any of the last models in 1973 or 74 have the 8 speed and multipower combo?--I think the reason they have been changed over is because of the "freewheeling" even when they are working as designed, it made for unsafe conditions for operators not familiar with how the multipower actually worked--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New and Refurbished Implements*

/ Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF #6  
Ken- I think even the late models were the 6 speed Muti-Power combo, the Muti-Power lasted even into the 300 series, I think you could even get a 375 with a muti-power for a while, in the US anyway. I do not think, that 8 speeds could be achived with the clutch pac where it was positioned, the muti-power transmission was relitively the same, with changes, from the conseption. No rocket sience. Both sides of the clutch pack have positve loc-up, unlike say a T/A in an IH tractor, it should not freewheel.
Chuck M.

/ Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF #7  
Hi,

In Lo range multipower, they have no engine braking and " free wheel ", because the clutch is apart. When in Hi multipower there is engine braking and do not " Free Wheel" unless of course the pump goes out.

Big Dean Austin is the man for more info on this!!!!!

Take care

Will

/ Taking the Multipower out of a 175 MF