Traction A little humbled after what happened today.

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings. My 2 week old Massey GC1715 sub compact has had to dodge the rain drops too often in its 2 week introduction. A few mowings and little chance to use the fel so far. So today was a better weather day . .and after a couple hours of my mmm doing its part with the grass . . I thought I'd do some testing with the fel attached.

Our yard of 1.5 acres varies from some flat to 50+% of it being hills from 10 to 25 degrees . . All grass mostly blue grass. Yards all cut and done. I add the fel on and with the mmm running I'm going up and down hills of varying steepness and gear choices. All of a sudden as im going down the steepest hill . . I start gaining momentum even with my foot off the hydro pedal. Faster and faster I'm going till I level off in the open culvert at the base.

What the heck . . I'm thinking . . did my hydro fail me and fail to slow and stop my progress ??? No. And I'd been up and down this hill several times during the day with no problem.

So what was the rather sudden uncontrolled speed increase? I had the fel on remember . . but I didn't have it in 4wd. So even with my considerable weight and loaded tires . . the fel reduced the rear tire contact pressure to the ground. No not off the ground . . Just less weight than normal. So in 2wd the hydro only controls the rear wheels . . So unknown to me . . I was sliding forward down the hill.

Once I figured out what likely happened . .I fearlessly put it in 4wd and tested the same run again . . But this time the hydro had a chance to hold back AND front axles . . and I emerged safe, triumphant, a little humbled, and a little smarter :)

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #2  
Had similar happen too until I realized I was in 2wd... most of my place is dirt and somewhat steep... just about always in 4wd except if I'm out on the road.

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #3  
Yep, pretty exciting isn't it? Yes 2WD is a killer for us mountain goats. Put a lot of weight on the 3PT, or go down those hills backwards..

/ A little humbled after what happened today.
Yep, pretty exciting isn't it? Yes 2WD is a killer for us mountain goats. Put a lot of weight on the 3PT, or go down those hills backwards..

What I would not have anticipated is an empty fel at only a couple feet off the ground . . would effect a unit with a belly mower, my size of weight, and loaded tires.

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #5  
When you get into using the FEL more, you'll really want some extra ballast. The loaded rears help for sure, but they won't help nearly as much as if you put a box blade or some other weight on the 3PH. Speaking from experience on this one. If you want to get the most out of your FEL on your nice shiny new tractor, you'll want a box blade or something attached to it. It will lift a lot more in the bucket and have more stability with more rear weight.

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #6  
Tractor and loaded tires arent as heavy as you think. That bucket hanging off the front, and pointing down hill adds alot of leverage. So it dont have to be that heavy to cause you issues. 25 degrees is a pretty darn steep slope.

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #7  
Don't forget to keep the tractor in LOW gear. High in the hydrostatic has less breaking. Also from experience.

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #8  
You're lucky! This story could of ended much differently....

/ A little humbled after what happened today.
You're lucky! This story could of ended much differently....

Actually Fitz . . I was in no danger . . so I thought posting this was a good way of showing a lack ofjust one or two details can make a difference. Being humbled is a good way of remembering.

But having grown up an active motorcycler I learned early and often to always have a backup safety plan in case I misjudge or some other driver does something dumb.

So my steepest hills end in a very wide open culvert and then banks up gradually to the road. As a result . . testing there is very safe because it gives me a "runout path" like they build for semi trucks on mountain roads "also known as breakaway trails". As long as I'm going straight and not side hilling it. And having the bucket turned up and fel relatively low means I can't catch the ground and forward somersault . . at least not in the distance of the steepness of my hill.

I was "testing" so that I get an education in practice time . . not in loaded time :)

What I really unexpectedly learned was that 4wd makes such a difference in downhill activity when just the empty fel is added in the equation. A perdon thinks of 4wd for up direction or side direction.

And now for a question for you or other readers. The manual states not to use 4wd in high gear or on solid surfaces. So I'm wondering . . In winter . . How do you use 4wd on a very long concrete driveway? I don't mean to sound "green" . . but that's what it says in the manual :)

/ A little humbled after what happened today. #10  
If it is slick enough to need 4wd it won't hurt anything. I would keep it in 2wd unless you are sliding around.