Dumb questions that deserve good answers.

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers.
I found out just the other day this week why there are 3 positions. I had putzed and experimented with everything I could think of . . . then I was talking to the service manager about my inabilitu to lock my mmm deck in the full up position.

So I asked him what theb3vposition clutch engagement positions did because there is nothing in the manuals about 3 positions.

Well its like this. Because that clutch engagement can do considerable damage to the gear engagement there is the rear off/ locked position. There are 2 detentes for the middle posirion. The middle position is designed to keep someone ftom accidentally pushing or engage the lever . . . just like on many cars with forward and reverse. So rear position and middle pisition both are "clutch disangaged" and forward position is clutch engaged. You'd think if it is important enough to make a middle "catch position" that it would be important enough to put it in the manuals too Lol

Home heating oil and a Tier 4 engine.

Recently a property I sold offered me the opportunity to keep the fresh home heating fuel oil I had remaining in the tank. I had the tank pumped and then transferred to my house which has fuel oil heating too.

I had been curious already a couple months ago to find out if my supplier's no. 2 heating oil would PROPERLY work in my new Massey GC1715 tier 4 sub compact. At that time when I asked . . The office person didn't know and called me back to say . . . yes it was low sulphur oil. But that didn't mean it was an answer to my question because the person couldn't tell me if it was ultra low sulphur oil.

Not worth the risk to me. So fast forward to this week when the driver came to do the transfer. Now he knew the answers quick and certain. Some heating oil suppliers use low sulphur oil . . 500,000 parts per . . . but my dealer does use only ultra low sulphur in everything they supply . . 15 parts per.

So that means yes I can use it in my tier 4 with no problems. However he did suggest that he wouldn't recommend it for winter tractor use or on a long term basis based on diesel pricing.

Why? Because you'll get better fuel efficiency using "road" diesel and a cleaner burn for plug or injector issues.

So my decision is I'll use up about 40 gallons of the heating oil I already have in containers for the Massey and the other 130 gallons went into the oil tank for the furnace. Unless of course someone has input to add to the decision :)

Well its back fir another dumb question regarding my Massey GC1715 or any tractor for that matter.

My manuals indicate I should have my mid mount mower in the up position before starting the engine. The reason the manual gives is so it is not trying to start and have any pto strain while starting.

Seems logical.

Except . . . Ive been told that when you stop the engine you should remove any hydraulic tension on the fel or mid mount deck or rear 3pt.

Seems logical not to create standing unused stress and pressure.

Except . . You can't do both. Either you have the deck up or you have the deck down . . But you can't have it both ways at starting.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
   / Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #14  
Well its back fir another dumb question regarding my Massey GC1715 or any tractor for that matter. My manuals indicate I should have my mid mount mower in the up position before starting the engine. The reason the manual gives is so it is not trying to start and have any pto strain while starting. Seems logical. Except . . . Ive been told that when you stop the engine you should remove any hydraulic tension on the fel or mid mount deck or rear 3pt. Seems logical not to create standing unused stress and pressure. Except . . You can't do both. Either you have the deck up or you have the deck down . . But you can't have it both ways at starting. Any ideas or suggestions?

There shouldn't be any pto strain at engine startup. Pretty sure my engine won't crank with pto engaged. Maybe they mean deck up before engaging pto?

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

There shouldn't be any pto strain at engine startup. Pretty sure my engine won't crank with pto engaged. Maybe they mean deck up before engaging pto?

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Well here I am with egg on my face again.

The manual clearly states in a couple locations that you want to avoid the tractor trying to have any strain or attempt at raising the hitch on the system when starting. Logical. And I interpreted that to mean if the deck was fully up it can't try to lift it.

So it says in one area that the hitch height lever should be moved forward but in another area it should be moved down.

My original thought was right to always have the deck dropped at shutoff and then started in the same position. However how I read the manual made me think the resting position for the mmm and 3pt were normally up because deck locked position is normally up and it can't try to lift when it is aleeady fully up.

Jlgurr . . Your response got me to rereading the various manual locations and then do a better job of interpreting. Thanks.

Well its time for another of those "questions you hate to ask but know you should " lol

Most of my life I've used either Havoline oil or Castrol oil (or Valvoline in a pinch) because I knew they were better quality choices than store brands and I wanted to avoid the East Coast wax issues of Quaker State or Pennzoil etc.. Always conventional not synthetic.

Recently I noted a lot of conversations about Rotella and I wondered how that compares. Then in a Sunday ad I noted Castrol has a diesel engine motor oil. What would be different about a diesel engine motor oil compared to a normal motor oil. Are there motor oils just for deisel engines ?

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #17  
Well its time for another of those "questions you hate to ask but know you should " lol Most of my life I've used either Havoline oil or Castrol oil (or Valvoline in a pinch) because I knew they were better quality choices than store brands and I wanted to avoid the East Coast wax issues of Quaker State or Pennzoil etc.. Always conventional not synthetic. Recently I noted a lot of conversations about Rotella and I wondered how that compares. Then in a Sunday ad I noted Castrol has a diesel engine motor oil. What would be different about a diesel engine motor oil compared to a normal motor oil. Are there motor oils just for deisel engines ?

East Coast wax issues?

East Coast wax issues?

Greetings check,

Its a long time situation going back before my time . . But I know in the 70s as an example that texas oils and pennsylvania oils were diffrent because oil pans would have a waxy build up on the bottom of the oil pans if Pennzoil was used compared to a texas brand. It used to be one of the reasons that Pennzoil or Quaker State were priced lower than the Texas based oils. I read many articles about it at the time. Mechanics would pull offthe oil ans and could tell you he general geographic region of where your oil came from without knowing your brand.

Now for certain things . . the waxy issue was almost an advantage.

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #19  
AxleHub, yes there are petrol specific and diesel specific oils. The difference is in the additive package, diesels generally have a higher soot load for starters.

AxleHub, yes there are petrol specific and diesel specific oils. The difference is in the additive package, diesels generally have a higher soot load for starters.

So for changing my oil in my massey gc1715 . . . Instead of using my Havoline favorite . . there a real reason to use a "diesel motor oil" ??

I'm not saying I dont believe it . . But its a little hard to swallow as many years as I've been around oils.

I'll do some checking on it. At least Castrol is my second favorite brand aftet Havoline. Lol