Dumb questions that deserve good answers.

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

Ever have a question that seems sooooo simple . . but the manual doesn't talk about it . . and it seems too dumb to ask otherwise? Well that's the point. You try to find the answer on your own first (in the manual). I'm thinking if I have some of those questions . . maybe others have answers or their own unanswered questions too. So here's a suggested format:

1. I/you made some efforts to find your own answer first before asking.
2. List machine id 1st so others can choose who to read or respond to.
3. The question and any noted clarifications.

Here's an real life "dumb" question that I and others might have using format above:

Massey GC1715: The pto clutch lever has 3 positions the middle position is "not engaged" and the forward position is pto choices "engaged". But what is the rearward position for? Now the manual shows that either rear pto use or mid pto use the clutch lever the exact same way . . Pushing forward. The manual properly identifies the lever but never says anything in its pages about what or why you would choose the rearward choice. Obviously its there for a reason . . but the manual says nothing about it. Any ideas?

(Note: I'm not referring to the mid pto or rear pto control levers. This is the 3 position pto clutch lever that has the detente' separating each position.)

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers.
And here is another:

Massey GC1700 series/GC1715:
I have manuals that came with my tractor . . clean bright and shiny. They were stored in the holder behind the seat. However those manuals should be at my workbench or near my reading area where clean hands can research items. But individual sheets on numerous topics in sheet protectors should be in that "behind the seat storage" with me out on the lawn or in the woods or field/work area. I'll have dirt or grease on my hands but I'll need the info for . . . . .

I'm not trying to short circuit having manuals . . I got em (but don't want them in the field). I'm not averse to copying pages . . But the manuals are all bound so copying is difficult. And I don't need 3 manuals and 175 pages . . I might need 20 pages ttl from the 3 manuals. So how does one find pdf files on those manuals (GC1715, mmm deck 2315, loader dl95) ?

Last edited:
   / Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #3  
Scan the manuals for your own use and put them on your phone.

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #4  
Some tractors have a position to just run the hydraulic pump without the pto shaft(s) turning
Dave M7040

Scan the manuals for your own use and put them on your phone.

Greetings Fawken.

The idea of having numerous manual pages stored on my phone when I'm out in the field . . isn't a bad idea if I was still 35 or 40. But even assuming I brought my phone out in the dust and dirt (20% of the time) . . alas . . I passed those younger ages some time ago . .as did my keen eyesight. I use a smartphone often . . but not for reading 8.5 x 11 detailed pages in bright dusty daylight sunshine out in the field somewhere on a 2.5 x 4 inch screen :)

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #6  
Does your tractor have both 540 rpm and 1000 rpm PTO speeds ,as some tractors do ? Maybe forward is one speed and back is the other speed ?????????

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #7  
Could be a ground speed pto gear engagement

Place the lever in the "unknown" position and go for a drive, if the PTO turns with the wheel rate, there you have it.

Does your tractor have both 540 rpm and 1000 rpm PTO speeds ,as some tractors do ? Maybe forward is one speed and back is the other speed ?????????

Great thought . . but the pto clutch lever in center position is not engaged for either/both my mid pto of 2000 and my rear pto of 540. And forward position engages power for either/both. Of course the forward position and rear position of the clutch lever have symbols by them while the center position does not. These are the "universally recognized" symbols all these tractors use that are just not "quite" universally recognized by me and my official manual :)

Fortunately for me . . I'm not the type for frustration and impatience easily. While I'm waiting for the answer to develop by tbn or my brain . . I'm learning the joys of removing the deck. Whats especially fun . . is they delivered the deck manual for a 2326 60" drive on deck and mine is a 54" mulcher deck . They ordered a replacemwnt when I called . . but in the mean time I'm developing my own system lol.

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #9  
Does anyone know how to remove main shifter from Massey ferguson 240???

/ Dumb questions that deserve good answers. #10  
Ooh! I know this answer, Axlehub!

Massey GC1715: The pto clutch lever has 3 positions the middle position is "not engaged" and the forward position is pto choices "engaged". But what is the rearward position for? Now the manual shows that either rear pto use or mid pto use the clutch lever the exact same way . . Pushing forward. The manual properly identifies the lever but never says anything in its pages about what or why you would choose the rearward choice. Obviously its there for a reason . . but the manual says nothing about it. Any ideas?

(Note: I'm not referring to the mid pto or rear pto control levers. This is the 3 position pto clutch lever that has the detente' separating each position.)

The "all the way back" position is to let the PTO of choice "float" or spin when you are trying to hook up the shaft from your implement, so that you aren't trying to rotate the implement gearbox to get the splines aligned.

[ Also, just realized after a few minutes, that I might be referring to the 'all the way back' positions of the rear or mid pto levers, in which case, I DON'T know why the other lever has 3 positions. ]

Last edited: