Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option?

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #1  

Glenn9643

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL
There have been many posts in the many forums here regarding Top-N-Tilt, and many of us have been disatisfied with some of the aftermarket cylinders available. It's often difficult for some to locate suitable cylinders for the top link, side link, or both. Today I took my side link to a hydraulics company to see about adding double-piloted checkvalves and flow restrictors, and while I was near I stopped by my MF dealer for a visit. Low and behold they were having a GRAND OPENING. While there I spoke with the General Marketing Manager for MF compact tractors (who was visiting for the grand opening) and expressed my thoughts that these items should be available as options on the tractor. My thinking is that if MF markets them they will probably be of higher quality than many if not most of the aftermarket brands available. He indicated that he agreed, and said that they might be available soon, as in the next year. During our conversation he also said that he checks in on TBN daily and monitors the discussions. Representatives of other brands probably do too. I would think that MF would profit from selling them as options and we would benefit by having a better product. What do you think?

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #2  
I agree. Think every manufacturer should offer T-N-T as an option. Think they are missing a lot of business.

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #3  
Glenn,
Thanks for the report. I knew that some from MF Corp. visited here from past experience. It is good to know that those from the Compact Department are among their numbers. If they would only ask those of us that put a large number of hours a year on our tractors about problems and improvements! Now I need to pull my head out of the clouds, because I really don't think that they would do that. R & D on Compacts is different than large Ag tractors. Instead of running a plow, a drill or a sprayer for 12 hours at a time, a compact owner may change and use 4-5 implements in that same 12 hours.

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If they would only ask those of us that put a large number of hours a year on our tractors about problems and improvements! )</font>

I think they should ask potential buyers to try out various models for.......oh, I don't know........a year at a time.

ME! ME! PICK ME!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #5  
what is T N T ? help a rookie out?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #6  
Top and Tilt. Very simply, there are two hydraulic cylinders on the back of the tractor. One goes to the top of implement where the standard top link connects, and the other cylinder is on the right side and runs vertically down to the implement. There will be two control levers by the operator that control movement of these two cylinders so that you can tip the implement forward and backward and side to side without having to get off the tractor to make the adjustments. So you can make these kinds of adjustments as you're driving the tractor.

Pretty slick, huh? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If you do a search for Top n Tilt, or some variation thereof, you should find all kinds of threads about it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #7  
Gannon makes a selection of pieces. I never found anyone who could get them, and wound up making my own. I did get the hoses and valves from a local tractor shop, but even he made his own cylinders up for each tractor he worked on. Mostly custom it seems...

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option? #8  
Glen, thanks for the post. I too would like to have Top-N-Tilt and if it were an option on the tractor I would have added it at the time I purchased my tractor. Seeing all the post on TBN about issues with Top-N-Tilt I've not be able to justify buying it yet. For those of you who have Top-N-Tilt it must be a big time saver.

/ Top-N-Tilt as a Factory Option?
Robert,
I know that they are available from aftermarket suppliers, but my point is that the quality is often questionable and many people seem to have trouble determining the size/length they need for their tractor. If the tractor mfg provided these as “options” for the tractor I believe that they would watch quality control, match the cylinders for the different models, make a profit on the sale, and provide the customer with a better product.
MF1455v,
You said, “Seeing all the post on TBN about issues with Top-N-Tilt I've not be able to justify buying it yet.” The only issue that I’m aware of is what’s been discussed above about quality of cylinders and length, finding a supplier. I’ve not seen anyone post who wasn’t glad they had T&T! It’s as handy using a box-blade as a toothbar on a loader bucket. Using a middle-buster, sub-soiler, or other implement that you might need to adjust the digging angle on is enhanced by the T&T also. I’ve seen several people inquire about “how to cut big stuff” with a bushhog… With the T&T you can raise the bushhog pretty high to back over brush and drop it down on top. Just need to be sure nothing/no one is around to intercept the flying debris! It's also handy to clean underneath the bushhog or sharpen blades without removing them.