GC2600 Steering wheel removal

/ GC2600 Steering wheel removal #1  

wrangler6831

Silver Member
Tractor
2- 65 M-F, 6245 Zetor /loader, GC2600 M-F /loader, BX24 Loader/BH
Has anyone had to remove the steering wheel yet? I had a little accident with my dash and need to replace the surround but I cant figure out how to remove the steering wheel. I removed the nut and tried turning the center with a allen wrench but it didn't seem to move. Also tried a gear puller hooked under the wheel, which is almost impossible... Anyone have to do this yet? Hints , tips would be appreciated.

Rich

/ GC2600 Steering wheel removal #2  
If you have a puller that bolts to the wheel you can put some tension on the wheel then hit the center pin on the puller with a not to hard hit to break it loose. A puller hooked on the back side of the wheel will work but could do some damage to the wheel.

When you put it back on apply some anti-seize to the splines to make it easier next time.

/ GC2600 Steering wheel removal #3  
After you remove the nut, it should just slide off of the spline/shafts..............maybe use a little penetration fluid !

/ GC2600 Steering wheel removal
Tried just lifting on it today while hitting the center bolt with a brass punch and hammer, no luck. There is no bolt holes in the wheel to bolt anything to, so the gear puller is what I tried but the bottom of the wheel is tapered so no luck there. There is a piece under the wheel that oddly shaped, maybe for a special tool. If you don't have a GC series then you most likely wont know what it is. Im going to try to contact my dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

/ GC2600 Steering wheel removal
Finally got it! I had to use a 3 jaw puller and fasten all 3 jaws to the center bolt to keep them on the taper at the bottom of the wheel. There are no bolt holes to use a traditional wheel puller on.

/ GC2600 Steering wheel removal #6  
Using a 1" pickle fork in between the bottom of the steering wheel and the top of the column shroud works awesome.