Massey 253 RPM/hour meter

/ Massey 253 RPM/hour meter #1  

Duwop

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmall Cub, MF253, Honda 700M2
I went out to do some tilling and discovered that since last using the tractor the RPM gauge /hour meter aren't working at all. Initial check of cable and wiring seems ok but I was pressed for time and haven't gotten back to diagnosing. Any suggestions would be helpful as to what and where to look for possible solution.

/ Massey 253 RPM/hour meter
I can't believe so many have helped me determine that the cable for the Tachometer was broken. I wonder if I posted this in the "Bota" forums I'd have gotten a reply....... Rhetorical?

/ Massey 253 RPM/hour meter #3  
Glad you solved it. Forums can be funny, you can post something and never get a response, sometimes it's a case of the right person not reading it soon enough.

Thanks, but not resolved yet I have found that the cable is broke near connection at engine. I called local Massey dealer to get part ordered, so ordered last Mon. came in today but they ordered wrong cable. The cable that came was about 20"s long which I knew wouldn't work as the one removed was 50"s so after giving them the SN# again they looked it up and ordered another cable and with any luck might just get here before turkey day.
Thanks for your response I was beginning to wonder if I was ugly or something .... ha ha!

/ Massey 253 RPM/hour meter #5  
Lol, nothing like getting the WRONG part. Our 240 the tach would work intermittantly, was the drive cable being sheared off sort of crooked, would sometimes turn, but not always. Does the 253 tach turn clockwise or counter clockwise? 240 and 250 it turns "backwards"

Lol, nothing like getting the WRONG part. Our 240 the tach would work intermittantly, was the drive cable being sheared off sort of crooked, would sometimes turn, but not always. Does the 253 tach turn clockwise or counter clockwise? 240 and 250 it turns "backwards"

I don't know the answer but I will check that when I get a cable possibly later in the week.

/ Massey 253 RPM/hour meter #7  
You can tell from the needle and numbers, our 240 the needle goes right to left when revving engine up, almost everything else the needle goes left to right.

The RPM needle on mine would move from left to right

/ Massey 253 RPM/hour meter #9  
MF "fixed" the tach then, was always fun shifting on the road until I got used to the needle moving backward....