Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On

/ Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On #1  

jlgurr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705, John Deere STX46
   / Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On #2  
Hey everyone,

I have a GC1705 with the 3 cylinder Iseki engine. Would like to add these gauges to supplement the factory idiot light and temp gauge. Anyone know where I could tap into the oil pressure for the mechanical gauge? Same question for the coolant temperature?

Amazon.com: Sunpro CP8206 StyleLine Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge - White Dial: Automotive

Amazon.com: Sunpro CP8207 Mechanical Water/Oil Temperature Styleline Gauge - White Dial: Automotive

Thanks,
Jeff

I would run the a Oil Temp / Press setup over another coolant temp. Coolant temp is a late warning since my then it's already overheating the entire system.

Look at VEI D1 Series dual function gauges. I run them in my track/race car. They run two functions so you can use 1 guage and 2 sensors. Makes for a neater install. They are also very accurate made here in FL USA.

D1-Series Dual Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Monitor - VEI Systems

Planning to add those two sensors to my GC 1720 along with a light bar.

I did not have a chance to examine the block yet since I got mine yesterday. :dance1:

/ Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On
Neat idea to have a dual function gauge but I prefer analog dials. Call me old school I suppose... :confused3:

Will you use the idiot light pressure sensor port for your gauge? Will the temperature sensor require you to drill a new hole in the oil pan? Speaking of oil temps, wouldn't it be neat to have one on the hydro?

/ Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On #4  
Neat idea to have a dual function gauge but I prefer analog dials. Call me old school I suppose... :confused3:

Will you use the idiot light pressure sensor port for your gauge? Will the temperature sensor require you to drill a new hole in the oil pan? Speaking of oil temps, wouldn't it be neat to have one on the hydro?

I think you can use a NPT threaded Y or T splitter to tap in for oil press where the low oil press sensor sits from the factory. Some times you can use a sandwich block between the block and oil filter to add in extra ports for oil cooler or gauges or both.

I prefer to avoid drilling in the oil pan. Since you you need to take it off drill and weld in a bung then reseal it again. A lot of hassle. Easier to add a sandwich adapter or splitter.

Also Autometer makes plenty of analog and mechanical gauges if you do not want electronic sender units and extra wiring.

I'll look around today to see where to tap in for those and post up the results.

I think you can use a NPT threaded Y or T splitter to tap in for oil press where the low oil press sensor sits from the factory. Some times you can use a sandwich block between the block and oil filter to add in extra ports for oil cooler or gauges or both. I prefer to avoid drilling in the oil pan. Since you you need to take it off drill and weld in a bung then reseal it again. A lot of hassle. Easier to add a sandwich adapter or splitter. Also Autometer makes plenty of analog and mechanical gauges if you do not want electronic sender units and extra wiring. I'll look around today to see where to tap in for those and post up the results.

Was looking at my tractor engine and noticed a couple extra plugs in the block beside the oil filter and along the same line with the oil pressure sending unit. I'm betting those plugs are in the oil circuit and could be tapped for the gauges I want to install. If I'd had my phone I would have snapped a photo.

/ Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On #6  
I saw those as well. But I didn't remove any to check. They look like there are in line with the oil circuit. Matter of removing the set screw / plug. Measure diameter and thread pitch and get a adapter. Wiring should be easy from that point on.

I saw those as well. But I didn't remove any to check. They look like there are in line with the oil circuit. Matter of removing the set screw / plug. Measure diameter and thread pitch and get a adapter. Wiring should be easy from that point on.

I'll find out this weekend and let you know. Curious where you are thinking of putting the gauges. I thought about top of the hood just behind the hood latch.

/ Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On #8  
I have added temperature gauges by installing a "t" where the temperature idiot light sender screws into the block. Usually those treads are npt.

The plugs are 1/8" NPT. The plug was practically welded in with some sort of thread sealant. It has a 5mm Allen hex.

image-3620956832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Oil Presusre and Water Temperature Gauge Add-On #10  
I am thinking of just adding in a mechanical gauge that is 1/8th NPT and is glycerin filled to that middle plug for temporary diagnostics. Something 2" diameter and center back NPT along with a M to F bushing inbetween. So I can unscrew the gauge out of the adapter without undoing it out of the engine block.