MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #1  

WhirldWorks

Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF205
I have a 1981 MF205 (20 HP Diesel). A week ago I ran it for a couple hours cutting grass then put it away in the barn with no issues. This weekend I went to start it and it would not start. When I turn the key it sounds like the starter "hits" very hard but doesn't turn the engine over. I tried several times, then noticed a small wisp of smoke coming from the starter. I found that the starter and red battery wire had gotten very hot. I have no idea hat could be causing this and would appreciate any insight.

I'll try to insert a video here to show what it sounds like:
[video]http://1drv.ms/1Ov1Pxn[/video]

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #2  
Check the coolant level, sounds like it could be hydrolocked. Also see if you can turn the engine backwards.

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #3  
In trouble shooting start with fundamental things and work toward the harder things. Easy, pull the battery and and starter and take them to NAPA and have them checked. NAPA will usually know who can check a starter. I can't tell you how often I didn't think the problem was the battery when the problem was the battery. It does sound like it is hitting hard but still don't rule out the battery.

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #4  
Kenneth's advice is spot on. Sounds like one of the cylinders is hydrolocked. That would then cause too much current through the starter motor and that caused the smoke (burnt insulation and maybe melted solder connections on the commutator.

If the coolant level is down, the coolant had to go somewhere, into the cylinder via a cracked head or blown head gasket?

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help
Thank you for the replies. I don't live where my tractor is located so it may take some time for me to go look into the issue and report back. If it is hydrolocked, how does one fix such a problem?

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #6  
If it's hydrolocked you should be able to remove the glow plugs and then turn the engine over with a wrench (don't try to use the starter, which may be cooked at this point anyway). The head will need to be removed and then you can determine how the coolant entered the cylinder. Usually it'll be due to a blown head gasket, a cracked head, or less likely a cracked block. w9

Trying to turn the engine over when it's locked can result in a bent piston rod. You should be able to tell that by how close each piston comes to the top of it's cylinder.

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #7  
Pulling the glow plugs should release any fluid that maybe in a cylinder. It also probably wouldn't hurt to have the starter, and battery checked. From listening to the sound from the video it sounds like its hydrolocked, starters go bad slowly unless if it got stuck engaged while the engine was running last time, but usually you can hear some strange noise it if it does.

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #8  
Yes, it does sound like the starter Bendix gear is hitting an immovable object, your flywheel, and cannot turn the engine over, so as long as you hold the key in the crank position your battery/starter circuit is sending a lot of amps to the starter and thus smoking the cables to the starter.

Before you do anything, disconnect the battery negative cable and put it aside where it cannot come in contact with the battery post. Wrap it in a rag if necessary, to keep it away from the battery post.
Than you can remove glow plugs or injectors to attempt to free up the engine enough to see if it will turn over with a socket on the crankshaft bolt.
Under NO circumstances should you do this while the battery is connected! Also remove the ignition key and make sure the wheels are chocked, AND it is out of gear in neutral.

Also check your oil level to see where it is at.

Report back results on the above before going further.:thumbsup:

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #9  
I think you all are making it too complicated. Sounds like a weak battery to me. That would be the very first thing I'd check. If it doesn't have enough power it will "sound" like it hits an immovable object.

/ MF205 Tractor Won't Start please help #10  
If he's lucky it maybe the battery, or very hopefully just the starter, it usually goes without saying to have them checked first. But the battery seems to have enough juice to make the starter start to smoke, and the positive battery cable to get hot. In the video to me (and apparently to others) it sure sounds like it should be able to crank it over a little bit as hard as the starter hits.