Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread

/ Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread
When I bought my tractor, the mower and tiller that came with it were not put together. The dealer offered me a discount of $200 each if I did it myself, I said no problem. Last Sunday I sat down with the mower manual, and installed the blades on my 2315 mulching mower. Filled the gear box, greased the zerks. I'm going to be tilling up the area by my pond that used to be clover and alfalfa, so I mowed it down to be ready for an application of round up. I was very pleased with the mower's power to mulch this grassy area up, never bogged down once.

Mower at pond.JPG

pond area mowed.JPG

I hooked up the tiller today. Much more involved than the mower. You have to cut the pto shaft to fit your tractor, and that was interesting. The manual shows you how to do it, but the first time is always a challenge. Checked the gear box for oil, checked the chain box for lube, greased all the zerks, and had to "run-in" the slip clutch. Apparently, the clutch needs to be loosened and allowed to slip after it sits for awhile. If it locks up and you break the gear box because you didn't perform this operation, the warranty is not covered (says this right on the pto shaft cover). I loosened the 8 nuts on the clutch, and it slipped just fine.

I couldn't wait for it to dry out like it should, so I tilled up an area where my asparagus is planted. Lots of heavy grasses in this area, and the tiller made short work of it. Very impressed with the operation.

Tiller ready.JPG

Tiller done.JPG

I couldn't believe what the little Massey did for me the other day. Planted corn and soybeans with a JD7000 4 row planter, very impressed.

Watch it Here

/ Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread #24  
When I bought my tractor, the mower and tiller that came with it were not put together. The dealer offered me a discount of $200 each if I did it myself, I said no problem. Last Sunday I sat down with the mower manual, and installed the blades on my 2315 mulching mower. Filled the gear box, greased the zerks. I'm going to be tilling up the area by my pond that used to be clover and alfalfa, so I mowed it down to be ready for an application of round up. I was very pleased with the mower's power to mulch this grassy area up, never bogged down once.

The mulching deck is a heck of an attractive mowing option and I don't know another brand that offers something similar.

Also with mine I sprayed a spray polymer on all of the underside of the deck last year and it kept the deck underside very clean.

But I have a question for you Scut. Did you have to install the gear box to the deck?

I ask this because I want to change gear oil and one of the 2 choices is to remove 4 bolts and then supposedly you can detach the gear box to drain oil easily . . But while I took 4 bolts off and it obviously loosened it some, I don't see how it comes off ? Any clue or awareness how that gear box comes off the mmm ??? 4 mounting bolts and then what ???.

/ Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread #25  
Yesterday's projects were spreading new gravel on top of the road base, and getting some madrone firewood. You can see a small slice of our pond in the background-- above the driver side loader arm.

Just did the 50 hour service on my tractor. It's given me very good service.

TractorWood1.jpg

/ Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread #26  
Very nice, somehow I missed this thread. I will post some action shots later...

/ Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread #27  
IMG_20161118_132907.jpgIMG_20161114_142717.jpgIMG_20160110_132414.jpgIMG_20160311_132113.jpgIMG_20160513_085624.jpgIMG_20160523_200249.jpgIMG_20161230_171925.jpgIMG_20160526_102814.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics, Rocky. I see you have the Pats quick attach on your 3pnt. How do you like it?

/ Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread #29  
Nice pics, Rocky. I see you have the Pats quick attach on your 3pnt. How do you like it?

Pat's hitch does the trick for what I need. I had some initial frustration trying to hook up the mower before I bought PH. The mower is heavy awkward and the pto drive line i is just long enough to make it super hard to connect. I know you can cut the shaft but I didn't want to. I figured there must be a better way since 3pt hitch had been around forever. In addition to "hooking" the implements vs trying to insert pins into holes, PH also adds 3-4 inches of length to the hitch arm making it much easier to connect the drive line. I went from dreading having to switch attachments to hook and go.

/ Massey Ferguson 1700 series in Action, A Picture Thread #30  
My dad's 1749 loading some large round bales that we were hauling out to my place today.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 449