My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have.

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #1  

Stlmatt

Tractor
2015 GC1720TLB
let me first start with what I have and when I bought it. In April of 2015 I bought a New GC1720 TLB with the DL95 loader and the CB65 backhoe. I use this tractor around my 5 acre home site, mostly to grade driveway, haul mulch and firewood and do some minor landscaping. I have a 48" finish mower and a 60" rear blade. I have the rear tires fluid filled and use 2" brotech wheel spacers on the rear wheel to make the tractor more stable. The tractor currently has 115 hours on it.

Every since the unit was delivered it seemed as if it was underpowered when it came to the drive/transmission.
Within the first few hours of using the tractor the FEL joystick linkage came undone...after an hour or two I fixed that myself and continued on. I used the tractor for a few weeks until it I knew something was wrong with the hydro drive.
I also had a hydro fluid leak coming from the sight glass housing.

I took the unit back to the dealer I bought it from (1 hour each way) the dealer said the pressure relief valve was opening to soon so they replaced it and I was told they fixed the leak......I picked the unit up and took it home, after using it for a few hours I realized both problems still existed, so I called the dealer and they agreed to come get it this time. After several weeks of it being gone I had to contact the Factory Service Rep and get him involved.....after another week of waiting I was told the hydro pump was being replaced and that should fix the drive issue, the unit was returned and it did seem to have a lot more drive power.....but the unit was still leaking at the sight glass. I agreed to use it like it was because I had things to do and I had already been without the unit for over a month. I also transferred my warranty to a different dealer that was a little closer and was recommended by the Factory Service Rep as I lost hope in the dealer I bought it from.

I used the tractor like it was adding fluid when needed, I finally got the new dealer to come get the tractor a few weeks ago, I wanted the unit completely gone though, change all the fluids/filters and FIX the leak. Well after almost 3 weeks they return the tractor assuring me that everything was as good as it was suppose to be......the good news is they really did fix the leak, the bad news is the drive issues seems worse then when it left. I cant complain about the FEL or Hoe as they seem to work great, but the unit is worthless in High range and extremely slow in Low range......the last dealer told me the unit just doesn't have enough power to use in High range unless I'm on completely flat ground, and when I say I'm using the unit in High range I am not trying to go up a steep hill with hoe on, 99% of the time I don't even have the hoe attached. The tractor will not even go up a slight incline in High range and reverse is completely worthless 99% of the time. I don't really have a need for High range as I'm not in a hurry when working/playing with the tractor, but I know there is some kind of issue.....as my friend has a 2015 JD 1025r and his will climb a pretty steep hill in High range with the FEL and mid mower installed.....he doesn't ever need Low range and we both live on similar types of property, I have also had some time on a BX25D, and even though they don't have high/low range they do a lot better on hills than mine.

So at this point my tractor has spent 2+ months away for service and I still feel like the unit is performing poorly.
Not sure what my next move will be, but any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Stl Matt

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #2  
Are you positive the brakes are not dragging? While I agree high range has little power on an incline, yours sounds pitiful.

<UIScrollViewDelayedTouchesBeganGestureRecognizer: 0x15e2c010; state = Possible; delaysTouchesBegan = YES; view = <UIScrollView 0x168d8400>; target= <(action=delayed:, target=<UIScrollView 0x168d8400>)>>

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #3  
I for one would like to know-does your friends john deer have same setup with wheel spacers and loaded tires and implements? I can use my loader in hi gear to dig in and pickup loam very easily on my GC2410. High gear is mostly for travel-I can go up and down steep hills easily. What happens? Does the engine bog down or does the transmission slip without the engine bagging down?

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #4  
Do you use the HST like an accelerator on your
car or a gear shift?

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #5  
let me first start with what I have and when I bought it. In April of 2015 I bought a New GC1720 TLB with the DL95 loader and the CB65 backhoe. I use this tractor around my 5 acre home site, mostly to grade driveway, haul mulch and firewood and do some minor landscaping. I have a 48" finish mower and a 60" rear blade. I have the rear tires fluid filled and use 2" brotech wheel spacers on the rear wheel to make the tractor more stable. The tractor currently has 115 hours on it.

Every since the unit was delivered it seemed as if it was underpowered when it came to the drive/transmission.
Within the first few hours of using the tractor the FEL joystick linkage came undone...after an hour or two I fixed that myself and continued on. I used the tractor for a few weeks until it I knew something was wrong with the hydro drive.
I also had a hydro fluid leak coming from the sight glass housing.

I took the unit back to the dealer I bought it from (1 hour each way) the dealer said the pressure relief valve was opening to soon so they replaced it and I was told they fixed the leak......I picked the unit up and took it home, after using it for a few hours I realized both problems still existed, so I called the dealer and they agreed to come get it this time. After several weeks of it being gone I had to contact the Factory Service Rep and get him involved.....after another week of waiting I was told the hydro pump was being replaced and that should fix the drive issue, the unit was returned and it did seem to have a lot more drive power.....but the unit was still leaking at the sight glass. I agreed to use it like it was because I had things to do and I had already been without the unit for over a month. I also transferred my warranty to a different dealer that was a little closer and was recommended by the Factory Service Rep as I lost hope in the dealer I bought it from.

I used the tractor like it was adding fluid when needed, I finally got the new dealer to come get the tractor a few weeks ago, I wanted the unit completely gone though, change all the fluids/filters and FIX the leak. Well after almost 3 weeks they return the tractor assuring me that everything was as good as it was suppose to be......the good news is they really did fix the leak, the bad news is the drive issues seems worse then when it left. I cant complain about the FEL or Hoe as they seem to work great, but the unit is worthless in High range and extremely slow in Low range......the last dealer told me the unit just doesn't have enough power to use in High range unless I'm on completely flat ground, and when I say I'm using the unit in High range I am not trying to go up a steep hill with hoe on, 99% of the time I don't even have the hoe attached. The tractor will not even go up a slight incline in High range and reverse is completely worthless 99% of the time. I don't really have a need for High range as I'm not in a hurry when working/playing with the tractor, but I know there is some kind of issue.....as my friend has a 2015 JD 1025r and his will climb a pretty steep hill in High range with the FEL and mid mower installed.....he doesn't ever need Low range and we both live on similar types of property, I have also had some time on a BX25D, and even though they don't have high/low range they do a lot better on hills than mine.

So at this point my tractor has spent 2+ months away for service and I still feel like the unit is performing poorly.
Not sure what my next move will be, but any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Stl Matt

you could post a video, showing the problems with your tractor, the dealership that sold it to you, the timeline of events etc, and post it to youtube and various tractor sites. it does sound like you are sincere, but who really knows without any pics or proof that you even own one?

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have.
I will try and take a video this weekend and post it. The tractor never boggs down, and I try and ease into the hydro pedals....depending on the incline the tractor either starts moving then loses power as incline increases to the point where I've got the pedal all the way down, the engine at 3000rpm and nothing is happening (no tire spin, no engine bog, no going forward) or it never even starts/tries moving if incline is to much. Reverse will only work in high range if you are on completely flat ground. There is defiantly something wrong......as I have places I use to be able to go in high range after the hydro pump was replaced, but before the last service that I cant go now....its not as bad as it was when I first got it, but not as good as it was right after the hydro pump replacement....even though I really think its never been 100%
My friends JD1025R does have the wheel spacers, but not the fluid filled tires......his machine will go almost anywhere in High range, and he cuts some pretty steep hills with the mid-mount mower in high range.....spec wise, they are almost the same machines....yet his seems to have a lot more drive power.

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #7  
Your hydro pedal is your transmission gear shift.
When you press the pedal all the way down, YOU ARE IN HIGH GEAR. Low power in other words.

As you go up an incline, ease off the pedal to maintain power.

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have.
Your hydro pedal is your transmission gear shift.
When you press the pedal all the way down, YOU ARE IN HIGH GEAR. Low power in other words.

As you go up an incline, ease off the pedal to maintain power.

I understand how it works or should say how its suppose to work.....and believe me I've tried everything when it comes to the hydro pedal.....even the last dealer (and I think this might be the first one they have ever looked it, as he had no idea what I was talking about when I said I had a GC1720) said Yes this thing doesn't seem to have much power in high range, quote "its a dog in high range" and blamed in on the lack of HP.......like that's the way it should be.
What sucks is a I bought a NEW tractor because I didn't have time to deal with issues that might come up with a used one, I'm kicking myself in the *** now for not doing more research into Dealer Service........money wasn't an issue and I bought this based on what I thought was the best machine (on paper) in it's class. My local John Deere dealer is only a few miles from me and I'm sure I wouldn't have had this kind of service issue.......its like every dealer I contact has never worked on one of these.

Its Very Frustrating:-( Stl Matt

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #9  
Ive really only used mine in low gear around my property. I put it in high gear twice, to many bumps and im not confortable driving it now like that. But i wil go out and take mine for a spine up my hill in low gear at lets say 2,000 rpms and then ill do it again in high gear at 2,000 rpms. Hopefully it will give you some help so you can compare. Like everyone esle said tho at least post a picture not sure if you have before or not or better yet post your video.

In the end my man if you want help from forums members the more effort you put in showing us whats going on, well id think we would all put that same effort back helping you out.

/ My 2015 GC1720TLB and the issues I've had and still have. #10  
Not shure why this double posts. So lets get some videos :).