MF231 power steering pump

/ MF231 power steering pump #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
Posted for a friend:

The power steering pump on my 231 bit the dust. Where is the best place to get a replacement, possibly an after market replacement? Is it possible/reasonable to rebuild this pump?

Chuck

/ MF231 power steering pump #2  
Is this a polish built tractor? Is the pump mounted on the side of the engine? Round pancake looking? If it is what I think it is, internal parts are not available. Maybe just seals and filters. These pumps are available "after market" from several sources.
Chuck M
A part number would help. If you can not come up with a number, let me know and I can get one for you.

/ MF231 power steering pump
Chuck,

Thanks. My friend will be joining the TBN club when he gets home, and will have the part number then. In the meantime, he says, yes, it is a Polish built tractor, and yes it is round pancake-shaped and on the right side front of the engine. If you can give some third party sources that would be great. Otherwise, he'll signing up himself soon.

Chuck

/ MF231 power steering pump #4  
cmunger,
Thanks for the post.
I've finally gotten around to joining TBN.
As my friend Chuck has mentioned, the 231 is polish built, a 1998 model. The power steering pump is as you described.
About 1 1/2 yrs. ago it started leaking. I just kept it full (mostly /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) and ran it. When the leak got so bad, I couldn't keep fluid in it and run the engine, I got a seal kit from my local dealer (couple of gaskets and o-rings for $58.00!). Got the leak stopped, but the pump functions minimumly now, it's hard to steer! Especially at low speeds.
Time for a replacement. I understand this pump is a weak link in an otherwise substantial machine. I was hoping for info on a better quality, longer life pump, maybe aftermarket. Or, if only the original replacement is available, maybe info on a cheaper place to buy it, as it looks as if it'll need replacement regularly. My 231 has ~150hrs. on it. the leak started at ~100hrs.
Thanks for any info,
Ray

/ MF231 power steering pump #5  
The tractor was made by Ursus. Might be able to find a pump off of a 539 from them,that is basically the same tractor.

/ MF231 power steering pump #7  
Sorry, I was gone last week, and did not have computer available.
I will look up the part for you tomorrow and give some suggestions. Also, jack the front end up, disconect the tie rods and try to move the front wheel back and forth, if you cannot do it by hand the spindle could be frose in the knee. Make sure it is greased good and can be moved easily. These pumps are not a weak link.
Chuck M.

/ MF231 power steering pump #8  
Maybe you have done something, but anyway, the part number for the pump is 773126M92, It is a very popular pump for MF and has been used sense the 60's, the mediun price seems to be about 275.00 for new.
Chuck M.

/ MF231 power steering pump #9  
Woodbeef- You do know that Vapormatic is owned by John Deere now. Vapormatic Canada is now A&I. I am sure you knew all this.
Chuck M.

/ MF231 power steering pump #10  
This may be the obvious answer for veterans but I just had an issue with mine and I didn't know how to do it. It could save buying a power steering pump. Did you bleed the air out of the system after you replaced the seals??? If not, this is done by fill fluid reservoir with tractor running turn wheels a few times, rinse, repeat until the unit is full.