MF 1734e tier 4 garbage

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #1  

Nick P

Tractor
MF 1734e
I have a 2015 Massey 1734e with 43 hrs on it. A couple of weeks ago I was using it during its regen cycle at pto rpm to use the 3 point snowblower I have. All of a sudden there was a misty cloud all around me and it was coming from the exhaust. Along with the cloud was a the heavy smell of raw diesel fuel. Then it occurred to me maybe the burner in the exhaust never lit the fuel and the injector was just pumping fuel into the chamber and spraying it out of the exhaust like a pressure washer hooked up to a diesel pump! In the meantime the orange light with exclamation point ( engine warning light) came on and the tractor started to beep. I promptly shut it off and called the dealer and they said this was normal. I read the owners manual and it said on page 59 if engine warning light comes on there is an ECU malfunction and bring it to the dealer. I brought this to the dealers attention and they have been cooperating. They are picking it up on Monday to read the codes and take it from there. Not sure how dumping raw diesel out of my exhaust is more environmentally friendly but who am I. New to this site and appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Nick

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #2  
Well sorry for the problems but we wouldn't consider that a grear first time post opener. Most people introduce themselves and explain what they have. Whenever a dealer says this or that get the name that said it and tell them to put it on paper.

Second posts video and or pictures of whats going on can help you also. Plus we also can make sure your not a basher or troll.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #3  
Not sure why you title it as "garbage" but you have a warranty, let's see what happens with the dealer. I think all of the manufacturers are experiencing the occasional tier 4 hiccup. Let us know what the dealer says.

Congrats on your new Massey, that's a nice tractor.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage
Sorry for the not so well put title and dialogue for first time use. My name is Nick and I purchased the MF in July of 2015. It is a huge upgrade from my 1962 Ford Industrial 2000. I love the tractor but was extremely aprehensive with this new tier 4 stuff. After much research in the new and used market I finally decided to go with the Massey because of the reputation. I have 6.5 acres and I use it for land clearing, snow removal, and fun. As you can tell I was a little frustrated with the recent events with it because it is a fairly big investment and don't want to see it turn into a guinea pig as they work through this new technology. I am just curious if anyone else out there has had any similar issues. I will post what they find hopefully today. once again sorry for the rough first time post and thanks for the help.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #5  
Let us know what your dealer determines the problem to be.

Hopefully this is just an isolated event and your dealer will have back running soon.

I purchased a 1736 last year mostly for snow removal as it has a heated cab and I opted for a front blower but with as little snow that we have received in upstate New York this year I have yet to use it for blowing snow.

I too was hesitant about the Tier 4 technology and my unit has yet to perform its first regeneration cycle.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #6  
Watching with much interest please do keep us up to date.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #7  
I have a 1734e with ~32 hours. It regens every 4 hours for 30 minutes and I haven't had any issues. Its happened during brush cutting, loader work and snow blowing. A large local dairy has a 1734e with over 1000 hours on it now with no issues. That really boosted my confidence when making my purchase. Wishing you the best with the dealer. Please let us know what you find out.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage
Well I talked to the dealer this afternoon. After 7.5 hrs of updating their scan tool software they pulled a few codes from the tractor. I asked what specifically and the service manager didn't know, saying the tech knew. He did say the tech was in touch with Massey and they have heard of this issue before. Massey instructed them to update the software in the ECU first. Massey also informed them that there is a screen between the burner motor for the regen and the dpf chamber that gets clogged up. This restricts the flow during the regen causing the regen temperature sensor to not get satisfied. In turn the computer calls for more fuel and totally floods everything and finally causing it to spray out of the exhaust. Massey does have some sort of fix for this according to the dealer. I'm going to take a ride to the dealer tomorrow to see exactly what's going on and I'll update further.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #9  
Nick, I understand your frustration with such a new tractor, but don't be so dismissive of the Tier 4 technology. That's a great tractor, and I'm sure MF will get this resolved. My 2014 Kioti is Tier 4 DPF, with about 170 hrs on it. I love the quiet power, and practically no exhaust smell. :thumbsup: Hang in there with your dealer, and keep us updated.

/ MF 1734e tier 4 garbage #10  
tractors are now cars
I like my MF 1533 with no add on's