GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat #1  

fxdb96

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson
Is anyone elses seat wobbly like mine? I can sit there and rock back and forth an inch anyways.

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat #2  
Is anyone elses seat wobbly like mine? I can sit there and rock back and forth an inch anyways.

After buying a 2006 GC2310 9 years ago, and now a new GC1710 I can say that you and I are on the same page! The seat sucks. I almost bought a GC1720 over mine just because of the seat. I even priced out the GC1720 seat as it looks way more comfortable and supportive but the $ was crazy. After this many years It appears not many share our frustration but I agree, the back and forth and side to side on the Massey GC series backhoe tractor is really bad..... :thumbdown:

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat #3  

You don't offer any info. The gc1705 seat is different that gc1715 seat. The gc1720 and gc1710 are different again because of the backhoe.

My gc1715 seat is both spring and coil suspension designed. When not sitting on it . . . It bounces from front to back because of the added spring suspension which is a great benefit when sitting on it.

But without any type of info its hard to know. If you have a backhoe type seat . . then it sounds like it isn't locked in the swivel area.

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat
You don't offer any info. The gc1705 seat is different that gc1715 seat. The gc1720 and gc1710 are different again because of the backhoe.

My gc1715 seat is both spring and coil suspension designed. When not sitting on it . . . It bounces from front to back because of the added spring suspension which is a great benefit when sitting on it.

But without any type of info its hard to know. If you have a backhoe type seat . . then it sounds like it isn't locked in the swivel area.

Ok yes let me clarify. I have 1710 seat. There seems to be slop in the sliding rails for adjusting distance from the console as well as slop in the c shaped locking feature that holds the mechanism down. (All while rotated foward towards the FEL not the backhoe).

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat #5  
I have a GC2400 and the seat rail ears, where the actual seat bolts to the rails, have both broken off. I now have one of the ~$100 hydraulic seats on it. It is a tad closer to and 1-2" higher than the original, but I expect the additional hydraulic travel to be a back saver. I'll know soon enough, after I start mowing.

As of today I have used the tractor just to de-thatch and reseed just around the house, so not an extensive test, but, I do think it is a better seat already.

Last edited:
   / GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat #6  
When the seat on my 1710 gets sloppy....I check the long clevis pin and reinstall it....the spring pin falls out and the clevis pin comes out.
That's what happens on my GC.

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat #7  
Just got my 1710 2days ago. And my seat has the exact same issues. When I was looking at it the dealer told me " the seat? I'm not brag about the seat! It's nothing to write home about" he wasn't kiddin. But everything else is awesome, Along with his price.

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat
If anyone finds a nice replacement that is bolt on or nearly bolt on post here

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat
IMG_20160325_194217554.jpg

Do yourself a favor... Take some gorilla tape and layer it up as seen in this pic. Also grease up the plate that the seat spins around on for much easier operation.

I actually dont hate my seat as much now!

While you are at it add some tape to the plate that your seat springs contact...... It quiets it down alot.

/ GC Sloppy Wobbly Seat #10