Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights
Well i just orderd some led brake light strips with turn signals. Pretty much used for motorcycles. I only
Spent 20 bucks, ill post some video and pictures when I install them. If i dont like them, then im gonna go the mini led bars.

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #22  
After removing one of mine, abruptly, with a tree branch, I moved the to the inside on my 1710. No problems since.

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #23  
After removing one of mine, abruptly, with a tree branch, I moved the to the inside on my 1710. No problems since.

Does it crowd you when using the backhoe ?

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #24  
Not really, but I'm not a huge guy either. And sight lines for the lights remained acceptable.

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #25  
Yes, axle, they were different, which is why I qualified my answer. The 2300 series also did not have the metal guards; I think that was a direct response by M-F to complaints about constantly cleaning the 2300 series lights off on trees & buildings!:laughing:

I only posted pics of my older model to suggest a possible alternative. (I recall that the Kubota lights I used were about 1/2 the cost :eek: of the M-F replacements.) That alteration has worked very well for me. I'm in the same boat as MoMower-- not a huge guy, and backhoe operation is not a problem in my case.

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #26  
The good and the bad of MF directional/tail lights:

I'm guessing they aren't inexpensive to replace :-(

The GC2400 series and GC2600 and GC1700 series all appear to use the same light while the GC2300 uses the older model light.

The current light is larger and appears to also offer an additional element function.

What is the good news . . the lights are very noticeable both to oncoming traffic and following traffic. Because while doing snow clearing I'm often out in the street . . I appreciate being noticed. Also numerous times I transport the tractor a couple miles each way on roads to another piece of property. Again . . I appreciate the size and communication those lights show to traffic.

Often on county roads I encounter tractors of all sizes. Often their lighting is either very weak or even non-functional. Maybe big tractors can get away with weak or non functioning lighting . . but for me on my GC1700 series . . I want every smidge of notice I can get and the lights on the GC1700 or prior models (GC2400 and GC2600) give my directional turning, running, and braking lights a chance to be seen from all angles. After all . . cars and trucks running into a scut or cut can do major damage to equipment and operator . . we don't have bumpers and air bags :)

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #27  
I too have "clipped" my lights on tree limbs. I agree that the placement is odd. Meaning out of normal view of the operator. I was able to use some super glue and repair my light assembly. I felt really stupid for hitting the light, but after see this post, I see I am not the only one.

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #28  
I too have "clipped" my lights on tree limbs. I agree that the placement is odd. Meaning out of normal view of the operator. I was able to use some super glue and repair my light assembly. I felt really stupid for hitting the light, but after see this post, I see I am not the only one.

LOL! There's more epoxy than original plastic in my assemblies and we've not even reached the 250 hour service mark. :D

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #29  
Great minds think alike-- I must have super-glued (that stuff really works on those plastic lenses!) and epoxied housings 5 times on the originals, then once or twice on the Kubota replacements before I finally decided to spend the time to make the clamps so I could move them to the inside. Definitely one of my better decisions.

repaired light.JPG

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #30  
Too bad we can't have folding type of lights. You know like the mirrors on cars. Lol