Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #1  

Ooklaa

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc1720
Well these lights love to keep getting snagged up on my trees around my property and id like to improve on this. Any aftermarket or has anyone else done anything creative? They are like big dumbo ears flapping in the wind.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 867
   / Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #2  
I took a small piece of about 1/8 in sheet and drilled 4 holes in it. I unbolted the lights and just swung the around to the inside. I bolted the metal bracket I made to the light bracket and then the light to the bracket I made but with the light facing in. It works great, didn't even have to cut a wire just pull a little slack so it would reach. Mine is a GC2400 but I think it would work for you as well. I don't know how to post pics so words will have to do. Ed

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights
   / Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #5  
   / Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #6  
I Was speaking about the actual turn signals and brake lights as they stick out wayntoo much when your in the bush. I was thinking of getting like a mini led bar to replace the standard ones.

Niko,

I'm not quite sure what the issue is . . are you breaking or bending the lights or are they just catching on branches or ??? Obviously on your model the directional/tail lights are armoured by the surrounding metal brackets. Are you catching on them going forward or when backing up?

You could temporarily while working put a 2 x 6 across from one side to the other to protect the lights from damage. You could even create some kind of deflector at an angle on that 2 x 6 to cause branches to shed off as well. But aren't you also snagging your rops also ?

You could drop your rops down in back as a very temporary measure too . . . but of course safety is needed too.

It would seem that if you are close enough to hit your lights . . those branches are close enough to hit you or the rops or the tractor. Can you just chainsaw a clear path of branches . . . If this was a path to your wood working area ?

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights
Niko,

I'm not quite sure what the issue is . . are you breaking or bending the lights or are they just catching on branches or ??? Obviously on your model the directional/tail lights are armoured by the surrounding metal brackets. Are you catching on them going forward or when backing up?

You could temporarily while working put a 2 x 6 across from one side to the other to protect the lights from damage. You could even create some kind of deflector at an angle on that 2 x 6 to cause branches to shed off as well. But aren't you also snagging your rops also ?

You could drop your rops down in back as a very temporary measure too . . . but of course safety is needed too.

It would seem that if you are close enough to hit your lights . . those branches are close enough to hit you or the rops or the tractor. Can you just chainsaw a clear path of branches . . . If this was a path to your wood working area ?

Rookie mistakes pretty much. The armor is their but it sucks as it doesn not go cover up the lit from all directions and the inside plastic is junk and not very stong. When im backing up or moving forward ill get them hung up on branches left to right ir even small trees standing. I was hoping to get something that is flat and sticks right to the rops or protrudes only a lil bit. maybe even something magnetic so i can move it or if.need bee fall off if hit.

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #8  
Why on earth did they ever put these lights outside of the ROPS? My port side light only made it 40 hours on my machine before meeting a sycamore tree. :thumbdown:

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #9  
Why on earth did they ever put these lights outside of the ROPS? My port side light only made it 40 hours on my machine before meeting a sycamore tree. :thumbdown:

Lights must be viewable from both front and rear by traffic/drivers.

/ Replacing Gc1700 series rear lights #10  

Some lawyer decided that the lights had to be the widest thing on the tractor. :confused2: Ed