Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #1  

case310350

Bronze Member
Recently got a massey 1540 tractor with loader. I had some dirt in the loader bucket, maybe a little more on the left side. lifted the bucket and the tractor almost tipped over. very surprised and somewhat disappointed. I normally run full size excavation equipment, backhoe/skidsteer. this is my first compact tractor, so is this the norm for compact tractor or is it the Massey model? Not a wide wheel base, tires not loaded so I can see why.

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #2  
Weight out back and carry low is all you can do.

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #3  
And fill the tires...

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #4  
If rear wheels are adjustable, move out as far as they well go. If not wheel spacers.

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #5  
Your Massey is about the same demensional size as my JD and I don't do anything with the FEL unless I've got at least a loaded ballast box on the 3ph.

Of course I got cocky last week... I had the ballast box off as I was about to chain harrow a paddock, bale spikes on the FEL. That's when a delivery of 325 kilograms of fertiliser arrived on a pallet. 'No problem', thinks I. Chain harrow off, wheel around to the lorry and lift the pallet off = up comes the rear wheels like a slow motion teeter-totter. I had just enough weight at the back to gently lift - back - lower - turn (gouging big R4 ruts) and deposit into my shed.

Never again will I make that mistake.

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #6  
Even with ballast I have learned to balance that load in the bucket, run low, hand on joy stick to drop it to the ground should things get tipsy.

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #7  
Even with ballast I have learned to balance that load in the bucket, run low, hand on joy stick to drop it to the ground should things get tipsy.

All good comments. Every tractor with a loader is vulnerable to tipping -- it is just physics of how high the load raises the center of gravity and how much of a slope you are on (or dynamics of moving in an arc or curve.) That said, I have 3 size tractors with loaders and the smallest (BX2200) is by far the most likely to become tipsy. I think it is a combo of light tractor weight, narrow wheel spacing (left right) and relatively long armed loader compared to the wheel spacing. I have seen where my own weight was a factor on the BX2200 and watched the tractor tip up slightly off the ground on one rear side. They guys are right: Just keep your load as low as you can, don't do sudden movements, especially turns, and stay off lateral slopes when carrying a load. Of course the rear implement weight helps a bunch be it an implement or a ballast. If it bugs you a lot, by far the biggest thing you can do is move the rear wheels further apart. Your brain is your biggest protector !

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #8  
I have an older Kubota with loader where the frame of the loader is as wide as the tractor extending to the outside edge of the front tires. Can't remember this tractor being tipsy unless I hung a front corner in wet heavy clay. On the other hand the newer Kubota loader frame barely lines up with the center of the front tires. I am of a mind set the geometry of the frame on the new one contributes to the tipsy factor.

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #9  
Hello case310350, any small tractor is tippy after being on a large tractor. there are 2 options.Leejohn and Teachu2 have stated option 1. Option 2 is dual wheels.

/ Compact tractor 1540 tipsy... is this the norm for small tractors #10  
The problem you are having is what you are used to! The tools you work with all day are for one purpose and that is digging while the tractor you have is for much more. There are ways to make the tractor more stable to it's full limits although it will limit your ability to do other jobs. Ballast is critical to success of operation in all chores, some require it, some don't. To weight your tractor for loader work would be bad for lawn work and other possible tasks.