won't buy a Massey again

/ won't buy a Massey again #12  
All brands need to charge a premium for parts because tractors are low volume units. It costs a lot of money to make, store, and catalog such low volume stuff. Not much anyone can do. Be grateful these machines are built to be rebuildable and not replaceable.

/ won't buy a Massey again #13  
Well this was my 1st compact tractor, have a 1540. needed a couple of parts, a loader joystick valve and a piece of sheet metal. The loader valve is 1500, and the sheet metal is 619. Joystick valve on ebay is 300 just not for this tractor. just for comparison I called a kubota dealer asked for a joystick loader valve for a l4200, 430.00.....

Like the tractor, ca't afford the parts. Have a case 580k backhoe, over the years replaced many parks, lot cheaper than Massey. Wish somebody would have warned me.

I'm curious what the back story to your situation is. How old is your tractor ? I saw from another thread that you just got this unit recently . . . so I take it you got a really good deal on it ???

Was the loader valve working properly when you bought it ? Did you buy it from a dealer?

The "piece of sheet metal you need" . . . what is it ??? . . . and was it already bad when you recently bought this tractor ???

Also . . did you check more thsn one dealer for prices ?

/ won't buy a Massey again #14  
going to try, have to fab a braket. they want 2000 for a remote, will try and fab that as well

I'm pretty sure that's what I'd do. IMHO, a tractor isn't meant to be a show piece. As long as the adapted/fabricated part does the job and above all, is safe, I'm satisfied. I wish you complete success.

/ won't buy a Massey again #15  
Yup! Must adapt to conquer when trying off brand parts. But, that is not a big deal if you are at all mechanically handy. If you can mount the valve to your satisfaction then the adapters are readily available to connect the lines (if they are even needed). Otherwise buy a valve with the appropriate connections and then fab the mount. In the end you should have a valve slightly shifted up/down and left/right. Will that fit within an existing shroud? Maybe. Are you looking for function or beauty in your tractor?

/ won't buy a Massey again #16  
I'm curious what the back story to your situation is. How old is your tractor ? I saw from another thread that you just got this unit recently . . . so I take it you got a really good deal on it ???

Was the loader valve working properly when you bought it ? Did you buy it from a dealer?

The "piece of sheet metal you need" . . . what is it ??? . . . and was it already bad when you recently bought this tractor ???

Also . . did you check more thsn one dealer for prices ?
u beat me to these valuable questions...

/ won't buy a Massey again #17  
Good point about the dealer needing to make money on parts inventory. I understand that, but hate being the one paying for those parts. My New Holland dealer only sells a kit to rebuild the cylinders on my tractor. The kit is anywhere from $100 to $150, but sometimes you have to buy a new piston for the cylinder because the kits they carry do not work with the original parts on the tractor, so that's another hundred bucks or more. Fortunately the parts guys are great and they told me where I could go to have the cylinder rebuilt for less then the price of their kits, and they do all the work!!!!

Same thing with my Century tractor. When my fuel pump stopped working, my dealer told me it was a couple hundred dollars for a replacement, but just $50 to put in an aftermarket electric fuel pump.

/ won't buy a Massey again #18  
So what's the difference when you buy a new truck or car vs. a tractor. ANY dealership is going to charge a premium for OEM replacement parts.

Try buying a wheel, tire, headlight bulb, oil change, etc., etc.

No sense in a pi$$ing match over tractor dealers price gouging. All dealers do it. Life's too short people.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ won't buy a Massey again #20  
I have ran and owned almost every series of tractor massey has made and in with that being said...anything will tear up.i have owned a kubota,ford and deere.from extremely used to practicality new.they all had a little issue occasionally and sometimes a big issue.that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy any of those brands again in the future. Massey has been doing this for a long time and is the go to tractor in my area (if it ain't red put it back in the shed)haha.