1758 Hydrolics

/ 1758 Hydrolics #1  

Tea4me

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1758
The past 2 days I finally got some good seat time since I bought it. Been checking fluids and lookin for leaks but all is good... so I thought. My issue is today the lift on the loader isn't near as strong as it was when I started working. It's to the point now where I can't lift a full load of dirt anymore. My curl is all normal but not the lift. I've noticed my hydrolic cylinders get warm, guess that's normal since it's being worked pretty good. Plus my steering is acting up. Like when it's turned all the way and then I turn it back, it sticks and kinda have to yank it. My hydrolic sight glass is gold and appears to be full. No lines are leaking and no puddles. Any idea what's up with a tractor that has 29 hrs on it?

/ 1758 Hydrolics #2  
Is your 1758 a hydrostatic?

When you say you noticed the cylinders get warm I'm wondering how warm. You can keep the palm of your hand on them right, but they feel warmer than your hand?

Approximately how many hours are you using the tractor before you notice the loss and how many are using the FEL?

/ 1758 Hydrolics
Yes it's a hydrostat. The cylinders gradually warm up but nowhere near hot. I'm not worried about that because that is all normal. The past 7 hours have been nothing but loader work. Digging shallow ditches along the driveway and culvert work. Everything was fine then it slowly started to weaken within 1 hr or so. Lastnight when I got home from work, I used the tractor again for an hr and that's when I noticed the steering issue. I have a light 700 pound rotary cutter on back for ballast btw. One other thing that's strange is for the past 20 hrs on the meter, when I go to curl the bucket down sometimes it'll curl up slowly.

I'm gonna call the dealer today and see what they say but I figured I'd give a shout out to you all as well.

/ 1758 Hydrolics #4  
I think we would all be interested to learn what your dealer has to say, its under warranty so its best to have them look at it. Let us know.

/ 1758 Hydrolics #5  
The steering phenomenon you mentioned occurs when the front axle is heavily loaded, and the power steering cylinders are trying to compensate. You'll notice that as you "move" the tractor, the resistance will decrease, and once you lighten the load, the resistance should diminish completely. I also experience this occasionally when I have a heavier than normal load, especially at 0 or low speed. My assumption is that the power steering is scaled to proportion, so that it won't overpower the load and damage components.

Regarding the loader, I don't believe I've noticed a loss in strength. It's possible I suppose, that once your fluid gets hot, it thins out and doesn't have the same "compression power" (made up term LOL) in the cylinders as when cold.

There are many days when I'll be running my 1652 for 8 hours straight, with the PTO running and while using the loader, with constant back-and-forth movements... where my fluid gets as hot as it can get, and everything still runs perfect.

/ 1758 Hydrolics #6  
Check the hydraulic fluid level! Sometimes it's the simplest things...may be starving the pump

/ 1758 Hydrolics #8  
How many hours are on the tractor? And has 50 hour service been done? The reason I ask is, when I changed out my hydraulic fluid and cleaned the suction screens to the pump, I found lots of paint chips from the hydraulic hose installation. I never had a problem with the issue that You have, but I see how a plugged up screen would cause it.

/ 1758 Hydrolics #9  
There are a few of us that have had the same issue. I would suggest you send a PM to onionfmr and he can give you a blow by blow. In my case, I was at the Green dealership (trading for a 75hp )and told them I wanted to change oil for the new people. I had read on this site where people went to the chevron full synthetic oil. I changed to it and green lost a sale. I had over 6 trips with the Agco rep and 700.00 for the 50 hour service. It still did not work. I changed to the chevron and no joke, the issues went away. Now the oil is not cheap. it is approx. 175.00 for 5 gal with sales tax. you get extended drain and the loader issues go away.

you really need to test your oil. I was charged 35.00 and after 4 hours, the viscosity index had already started thinning and breaking down. A week ago, I cut grass for over 6 hours in 95+ Texas heat and no issues with the chevron. Onionfmr had the same results that I did. He was pulling trees in New York.