MF35 Clutch Pedal Slipping When Engaging PTO

/ MF35 Clutch Pedal Slipping When Engaging PTO #1  

Axtell

Tractor
Ford 8N, MF 35 250 265, JD 1530
G'day all...

I have just put our MF35 Diesel back together after an engine rebuild which included a new double clutch with release/pilot bearings. Engine runs great and very happy, but when we try to engage the PTO the clutch pedal seems to slip when attempting to engage the PTO. We can adjust for clutch pedal free play around 3/8" but when we reach the bottom of pedal travel to engage PTO it "slips" meaning when we release the pedal we now have 2-3 inches of free play which is not enough to engage the PTO. Gear shifting is fine, but when it is like this we have to turn off the tractor, put the PTO in gear, then crank it back up with the PTO in gear to use it. We have verified the pedal itself is not slipping on the shaft so it appears something is slipping inside. Looking at the parts diagram it seems there are two shafts either side of the clutch release fork with a set screw/bolt on each side locking them together. It would seem it is slipping here, but how is it possible it works when shifting gears? Am I missing something or could the problem be elsewhere?

Thanks,
Axtell

/ MF35 Clutch Pedal Slipping When Engaging PTO #2  
Hi Axtell

Did you manage to get an answer to this? I'm having exactly the same problem with my MF35 as well. My Dad tells me that it needs a new clutch, but I would like to exhaust all possibilities before having to undertake such a big job.

Cheers

Jon

/ MF35 Clutch Pedal Slipping When Engaging PTO
Hi Jon,

No solution yet. I guess I will have to wait until this winter and pull it apart to see what is going on. I have been wanting to remove the bottom bell housing plate and maybe see enough up in the to see what is going on. In my case it appears it is slipping as after setting the clutch free play and depressing the clutch the free play returns without seeing the pedal itself slip on the shaft. I am looking at part 19 and 21. Maybe it is slipping there?

Untitled.png

Thanks for the reply and Cheers!
Axtell

/ MF35 Clutch Pedal Slipping When Engaging PTO #4  
Hi
Since its a dual clutch and there is no effect on transmission ,I would suspect the clutch release bearing or the pto clutch plate.
Let us know once you find the real cause.

All the best

Sorry it took to long but I finally got the opportunity to find out what the problem is. I don't get it right all the time, but it is what I suspected. The bolt locking the yolk to the pedal side shaft was sheared. Now have to find a way to pull the shaft on that side out as it jammed in the fork due to the shear. I am hoping I can pull the shaft on the other side out, take a long bolt or rod from that side and knock the shaft out of the fork through the other side. Any other suggestions most appreciated!

Thanks,
Axtell,

IMG_2788.JPG

Last edited:
6FAD8E2B-D3C4-4E8C-8E5D-EB83B91E92ED.jpeg