GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #1  

loulblades

Gold Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
Stupid is as stupid does.

I removed the belly mower from my tractor and attached the tiller for some garden work.
I don't normally remove the short shaft from the mid pto unless I am doing something serious since it is not really in the way.
So I get in position, move the mid pto to inactive position (or so I thought) and put the rear pto lever in active position and engaged the system,
but since the mid pto wasn't fully inactive I heard a load bang and quickly disengaged the pto and heard fluid running.
After shutting the tractor down I crawled underneath and saw the filter laying on the ground and fluid running out.
I came to realize that the threaded flange broke off in the filter leaving about 1/2" of thread on the case end.

So now I am investigating my best approach to fix this. I refuse to replace the whole case front. I purchased a NAPA filter that should fit because the threads aren't as
indented from the top as the OEM filter but it was still too much. I have the service manual but it doesn't show this as a separate item (like on many car engines) and it does look like it is part of the case.
I am currently considering cleaning up the end of what I have left on the case and machining an adapter but I am thinking I will need to double up on the gasket because
the adapter won't let me screw the filter on as far. In this case I will probably go back to the OEM filter or maybe the WIX filter since they both appear to have the
threads set back further than the NAPA filter.

So if anyone has any ideas, other than not leaving the short shaft on the pto, I would appreciate your input.

TIA,
Lou L.

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #2  
Kubota makes a nipple for repairing this on BX models. p/n 15241-32290

You tap the housing, and install the nipple to attach your filter.

These have also been used to repair GC's.

Last edited:
   / GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #3  
I believe the recommended procedure is to saw off the remaining portion of your nipple flush with the case, and tap the hole out, using a tap coated in grease.

It's apparently not difficult. And, not expensive.

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #4  
Ouch! Hope you can use Ray's suggestion!

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange
Oh what fun I have been having.

Here's where I started:
FilterFlange.jpg
Not as bad as some others I have seen but since it broke off right at the filter it was too short. I thought about doing the drilling and tapping as suggested by Ray66v but I decided to attempt something different.

I had this made in our shop:
Adapter.jpg
We made it out of steel so the female end could be made shorter but it was still too long for either of the filters I was looking at.

Here are the two filters:
Filters.jpg
On the left is the NAPA FIL 7089 (or Wix 57089) and the right is the Agco filter. The NAPA/Wix filter has the gasket sticking up slightly higher and since I needed all I could get I choose it.
I was unable to find that this filter is an official replacement for the Agco but looking at its' specs and the Kubota tractors' specs it fits, it seemed like it would do the job (If anyone knows differently please let know).

To start my mods I first put clean rags soaked in UTF in the 2 holes in the filter mount.
Then I took Ray66v's advice and basically filled the tools I would use with grease (thanks Ray).
So to get my adapter to go in deep enough I needed to remove as much of the shoulder on the nipple as possible (see 1 in the first image).
I did this by using a 15/16" hole saw then run the 20mmx1.5 die on it. Luckily the die "almost" fit into the gasket seat.

DieInFlange.jpg

At first I was a little perplexed on how I would run the die in when I didn't have room to use the handle on it.
I took a steel disc I found in my junk pile, drilled 3 1/4" holes and put 1/4" bolts through with a nut. Then I welded a nut on the side with the bolt heads so I could use a ratchet and socket.
The following is a picture of the hole saw and the tool I made to run the die in:
Tools.jpg
As can be seen I did need to grind off the die a little. After threading I did have to cut the nipple on the filter mount down some.

I used some red Loctite on the female end of the adapter so hopefully I will not need to take that part off in the future.

I used a lot of clean rags soaked in UTF for this project. Afterwards I thought I should have taken the shield off to do this, I figure target fixation caused me to overlook it.

Gee what a guy won't do to keep from taking his tractor to the shop.

I did have to buy some of the tools for this job, Harbor Freight and Amazon are my friends even though my wife said I have too many tools already but then I had to remind her about my philosophy on tool ownership:
If I have a job to do and I open my toolbox and I don't have the tool for the job...on that day I don't have enough tools,
If I have a job to do and I open my toolbox and I do have the tool for the job...on that day I have just enough tools,
But I have never opened my toolbox and thought...I have too many tools. ;)

Hopefully no one has to do this job but in case you do, this might be a possible option.

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #6  
Nice job. :thumbsup:

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange
Nice job. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

As an aside, once I got it back up and running I couldn't put the mower shaft together. Seems the contact with the filter distorted the female receiver and after cutting some of it off, greasing it, heating it, filing it and forcing the two pieces together I finally was able to get them to slide semi freely enough to cut the grass. Looks like I will need to acquire a replacement for the female part of that shaft.

As another aside, when I first started the tractor the exhaust pipe fell to the ground (it broke off at the muffler). I was able to tack weld it for the time being.

Seems like I had some bad karma payments due.:(

These tractors can test a person at times.

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #8  
Ouch! Glad you stuck with it-- you're right, your problems would try anyone's patience!

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #9  
Looks like he has skills to survive tractor ownership.

/ GC2300 broken hydraulic oil filter flange #10  
Did you end up using the 7089 napa filter?
And if you did, any problems using that filter?