Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #12  
Thanks for the advice Ray. I don't want to derail this thread but yes, I need to figure out how to start mine. The manual says, WFO. It started that way but my gut just said, no! It's been reasonably warm since I've had it so idle to 1500 rpm's seem to work equally well for now but like I said above, glow plugs still a necessity even though it has been above 80*F.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY
If you guys dont have the plug in heater for the winter i really would suggest to get it if you use your tractor in the winter., I would clean the suction filter mine had some crap in it, Not a lot but to leave for 250 hrs i would think it would be full of crap or a good amount. If your hyrdo fluid is new just make sure your oil pan is supr clean and reuse the fluid. Or by a new pan for 10 bucks, better then spending 70 on hydro oil and better then leaving the suction filter for another 200 hrs.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #14  
Ookla, do you post on hearth.com?

Axle hub, have you changed your hydraulic fluid yet?

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #15  
If you guys dont have the plug in heater for the winter i really would suggest to get it if you use your tractor in the winter., I would clean the suction filter mine had some crap in it, Not a lot but to leave for 250 hrs i would think it would be full of crap or a good amount. If your hyrdo fluid is new just make sure your oil pan is supr clean and reuse the fluid. Or by a new pan for 10 bucks, better then spending 70 on hydro oil and better then leaving the suction filter for another 200 hrs.

As I said, in 11 years, I haven't had any trouble staring my tractor without the block heater.

I also disagree, that the screen is going to accumulate all kinds of additional debris. It's a closed system. All that screen does is trap large debris harmlessly, in the sump. Once you remove what was left in there when it was built, which as you saw was in there for 50 hrs, and caused no issues, there won't be any additional large metal until the tractor has been in service long enough for major wear to develop.

If there was enough debris there to block the screen, the hydraulics would not work.

The transmission filter is still going to remove dirt, and normal wear, in terms of fine metal particles, either way.

However, anyone who can't sleep, thinking there may be something sitting there, have at it.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #16  
Thanks for the advice Ray. I don't want to derail this thread but yes, I need to figure out how to start mine. The manual says, WFO. It started that way but my gut just said, no! It's been reasonably warm since I've had it so idle to 1500 rpm's seem to work equally well for now but like I said above, glow plugs still a necessity even though it has been above 80*F.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. But, some glow plug use for a cold start is not out of line, even in warm weather.

Yes, it probably will start fine without glow plugs. But, it will usually start faster with them.

Keep in mind, that the glow plugs don't get very warm, until after the first 5 seconds.

Contrary to the manual, you should not need to open the throttle for starting, in warm weather.

Also keep in mind, a diesel will not warm up, at low idle speed. So, if it's cold, and you want to warm it up, you need to run it at a high idle, or better.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #17  
Mine hasn't started without using glow plugs even though I have tried and it has been warm weather.

Starting at idle to 1500rpm's is in reference to throttle position on start up.

WFO, well let's just say that's in reference to the owners manuals stating to start the tractor at full throttle.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #18  
Ookla, do you post on hearth.com?

Axle hub, have you changed your hydraulic fluid yet?

SteveM70, I've got everything I need to do the maintenance but as yet I haven't done the work on the tractor. Actually because of other issues unrelated to thevtractor . . I haven't used my little red friend since the lMarch snowfall.

And for those starting their units in cold weather . . I had the dealer install the block heater at purchasebtime and it cost $35. I'm baffled why anyone andveveryone wouldn't use a block heater if they luve in any area of sub 32 F degree, much less below 0 F degree weather. Its easy and inexpensive and better for the tractor.

/ Gc 1720 50 hr service DIY #19  
I'm baffled why anyone andveveryone wouldn't use a block heater if they luve in any area of sub 32 F degree, much less below 0 F degree weather. Its easy and inexpensive and better for the tractor.

Don't know why you are baffled. I stated, it starts fine without it. If I was having trouble starting it, I could understand the confusion.

I'm baffled by why everyone thinks, because it's a diesel, it has to have a block heater to start. :confused3:

If you can buy a block heater for one of these for $35, everyone is going to want to know where. Because, MF substantially over charges for them.

Jacks, wants $141.55 for it, and they discount.