GC2600 lost key

/ GC2600 lost key #11  
Well obviously a simple toggle switch wouldn't work, but why can't there be a twist knob permanently attached to the tractor instead a removable key? My wife tripped over the 3 point hitch lowering speed knob and broke that so I'm waiting for the day someone hits the key and bends it.

A. Because if its so easy to steal . . Someone will.

B. Because if a kid in the neighborhood got it started and then got hurt . . Someone else (not you) . . will own your house and retirement.

C. Because for 25 dollars you'd have 2 keys instead of a bad idea.

/ GC2600 lost key
IMHO additional keys is the way to go. I have a metal detector just for finding lost keys, lynch pins, nuts, bolts and all associated bits & pieces that are lost in the yard. I tend to loose stuff in my lawn and the detector has saved MANY trips into town looking for replacements.

That assumes she lost it in the yard. I was 2-3 days between last using the tractor and realizing the key wasn't on the hook. God only knows where it ended up. *sigh*

/ GC2600 lost key
A. Because if its so easy to steal . . Someone will.

B. Because if a kid in the neighborhood got it started and then got hurt . . Someone else (not you) . . will own your house and retirement.

C. Because for 25 dollars you'd have 2 keys instead of a bad idea.

A. Theft? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Are you kidding me? If I can buy a Kubota key off Amazon/ebay/any dealer and use it on a Massey where's the security? My truck with a unique, laser cut, key and engine immobilizer is difficult to steal. These tractors might as well have a simple dial or push button start for all the security they have. You don't think someone interested in stealing at 1500lb piece of equipment wouldn't have a trailer to drag it onto, or a set of generic equipment keys to drive it away with? What this incident has told me is I (or anyone) could walk to the Kubota dealer down the road with a $5 Amazon key and drive off with one of their tractors or RTVs. And yet they still park them all out front next to the road, without a fence or anything around them.

B. There are no kids around within several houses of my house other than my own, only 1 of mine goes near the tractor, and she knows how to use it. She also knows where we keep the key, will get it for me, and use the tractor to help me so your argument is irrelevant.

C. Bad idea in your mind. Good idea in mine. Your "$25 for 2 keys" idea turns into a more expensive and time consuming proposition when my wife trips over something and bends the key in the ignition like she broke the other control knob. Then I'd be down a tractor until I can extract the key or replace the ignition switch (which isn't even listed in the Agco parts book), tear the tractor apart and replace the **** thing (or pay the dealer to come fix it since I wouldn't be able to start it to load on a trailer for transport to their shop).

Either way, I'll probably buy 3 keys so I have a spare and one to give to the school to thank them for letting me borrow their key if they don't have a spare either. The dial would just make things easier since it's the only piece of equipment I have that requires a key. Chain saws, generator and snow blower were all key-less and I never had a problem with them.

/ GC2600 lost key #14  
If I had a bunch of spare keys, I'd probably loose them or misplace them. :) I leave the key in all the tractors/mowers that use them. The JD420C just has a knob that turns from off to ignition or ignition w/lights then you pull a mechanical link to the starter solenoid. It never had a key. It takes some effort to extract the keys in the others so they're not going to fall out. And I know exactly where to look for a key when I need to start one of them.

BUT...I'm out in the boonies and there's no children around. If I hear a tractor start, it better be the B.I.L. or lead is flying.

/ GC2600 lost key #15  
Was mowing ditch bank,and when finished,pulled up to park and went to turn off tractor,no key! Luckily found a key that fit enough to turn off.

/ GC2600 lost key #16  
If I had a bunch of spare keys, I'd probably loose them or misplace them. :) I leave the key in all the tractors/mowers that use them. The JD420C just has a knob that turns from off to ignition or ignition w/lights then you pull a mechanical link to the starter solenoid. It never had a key. It takes some effort to extract the keys in the others so they're not going to fall out. And I know exactly where to look for a key when I need to start one of them.

BUT...I'm out in the boonies and there's no children around. If I hear a tractor start, it better be the B.I.L. or lead is flying.

This^^^ Just get a key for a few dollars, leave it in the tractor and use it as a handle to turn the switch that's already there.

/ GC2600 lost key #17  
Neighbor lost key to their lawnmower. It has a generic key like my mower, my Kubota and most other tractors. I took my Swiss army knife and found a blade that would go in the slot, twisted and it started right up. Not much security in those switches for those of you who think that a key will foil a kid or a thief, better check to see if your equipment is still there.

As for lawsuit if a kid comes over and starts your tractor if it has a toggle switch, well lawyers will sue you either way if the parents want to even if you had it inside something like a Fort Knox secure facility with armed guards. Anyone that can file suit on an automobile maker when someone uses it to kill someone, can pretty much sue anyone for anything so stop worrying about it.

By the way, a 00 fish hook (the end you tie the string on) will fit most generic switches and even a few Master padlocks so if you loose your key just look in your tackle box for a spare.

/ GC2600 lost key #18  
Gary, leaving your car unlocked and the keys in the car ignition switch on a dowtown street is typically defined as "callous disregard" by legal action.

The fact "some" can use a fish hook to start a lawnmower is not justification for them to do it. The fact a majority of people don't know how to do it or have a fish hook available is what alters liability.

I have no children in the home and as a result no children's friends being exposed to my tractor. Yet I don't leave a key sitting in it. Legally, demonstrating "reasonable and prudent" behavior is an expectation of all of us. Failure to do that is our exposure.

If I leave a key in the ignition . . Nearly 100% of people could potentially start it. Without the key in the ignition . . the number of people potentually capable of starting it drops to under 10%. That is the difference.

Last edited:
   / GC2600 lost key #19  
Was mowing ditch bank,and when finished,pulled up to park and went to turn off tractor,no key! Luckily found a key that fit enough to turn off.

Must be a key switch made by GM. :) None of keys will come out in the ON position. :confused3:

/ GC2600 lost key #20  
FYI My fathers BX24 key fits my GC2600 and mine fits his. Go figure!