Anybody else ever have DPF issues? Mine is beeping and won't regenerate.

/ Anybody else ever have DPF issues? Mine is beeping and won't regenerate. #1  

drizler

Platinum Member
Oh but I truly hate that loud beeping. This happened once before but it kicked in and did it's thing eventually with my 2014 1736 Massey. This time it's showing all the bars and not showing any sign of regenerating. Hours total on machine 260. I tried holding the button , running it full bore for 5 minutes and otherwise working it at 2400 the whole last time I used it, nothing. I even unhooked the battery and let it sit to see if the computer would reset, nothin. Finally I called the dealer Friday but the mechanic was out. He did say they had experienced a few of the tier 4's that need the computer flashed for that reason. Something about the non farmer owners weren't running them hard enough to make it kick but he wasn't sure of all the details and I need to talk to the mechanic on Monday. At this point Im just wondering if anybody else has had this happen. :confused2:.

/ Anybody else ever have DPF issues? Mine is beeping and won't regenerate. #2  
Hi there! It happened to me on my 1734 e and they flashed the computer. Everything has been alright since then so hopefully That's all it is for you.

/ Anybody else ever have DPF issues? Mine is beeping and won't regenerate.
I'm still waiting for the service guy to get back to me. He's out and running yet again. I imagine this will end up being similar to your resolution. Oh new technology I am no fan of it. I stood on my head to get something in 14 but everybody thinking faster beat me to the 2013 models of everything just for that reason. Once upon a time long long ago because I am something of a motorhead I swore never to buy a new model / new engine, transmission model of ANYTHING as I know full well that those early versions tend to iron out the problems with new systems. So what do I do , go out and sign up to be the crash test dummy. Duhhhhhh truly a Homer Simpson moment. Anyways thanks for the heads up, I will let you know what happens.

FWIW I was doing it wrong. It had always started on it's own before and the few times since buying it the tractor just launched itself off. I was ready to take it in and talked to the mechanic on the phone. He got to the part where he said "SET THE PARK BRAKE", and I already knew. I'm so used to all the repetitious safety gobbletygoop they always have in the book being meaningless that I missed the obvious. It needs the brake on in order to turn it on manually. Set the brake and run it at idle then push the putton.........away it goes. As Homer Simpson says, "Dohhhhhhh"

/ Anybody else ever have DPF issues? Mine is beeping and won't regenerate. #6  
I wonder if the DPF can be deleted like it can on some diesel pickup trucks for 'off road use only'... aren't tractors for offroad use anyway? *grin*

I know, I know... EPA rules, gubment bullsh!t and all... gotta save the environment!

Tier 4 emissions is a big reason why I'm not likely to buy a new tractor again...

/ Anybody else ever have DPF issues? Mine is beeping and won't regenerate. #7  
So your system was beeping but never it engaged the regeneration cycle automatically? How many bars did your soot indicator show?

My manual for my 1736 says the ECU senses the amount of particulate matter (PM) and when a specified amount is reached it will increase the temperature diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) as part of the regeneration cycle. It also says this will occur when the soot gauge shows five or six bars.

It goes on to say, manual regeneration is necessary when the soot gauge shows seven or eight bars and the DPF light will illuminate and the alarm will sound when it reaches this level. Then as you indicated it says to park the tractor, put the tractor at idle, and operate the DPF switch. The regeneration will take 15 - 40 minutes.

That will be the day when you can easily bypass their stupidity. FWIW mine was fully stuffed with all bars. Another FWIW I was using good old fuel oil like the dealer said I could and it stuffed no faster than using highway diesel. Its been a year and a half with no issues other than keeping NY out of my pocket:thumbsup: No difference anyways since the wonderful EPA mandated all the sulphur out of everything around 06 o7. Mine goes every 50 hours +- 10 hrs and always takes 15 o 20minutes no more.

/ Anybody else ever have DPF issues? Mine is beeping and won't regenerate. #9  
Drizler, sorry I missed in your first post where you said all your bars were showing, so its disappointing that the system did not engage on its own and required your intervention.

Drizler, sorry I missed in your first post where you said all your bars were showing, so its disappointing that the system did not engage on its own and required your intervention.
Oh it's no big deal really. They said some of the early models tend to do that sometimes hence the flashing of the computer. I don't really care now that I know how to fire it off myself. I'll flash it sometime if I take it in for something else but no big deal or rush.