Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #11  
Maybe it's age (607 hrs now), but my 2310 starts so much easier & faster with glow plug use, even in warm weather (assuming it's been sitting), that I now use glow most all the time.

I think (?) mine has always put out a puff of black smoke on initial start, as well as when advancing throttle fairly rapidly. In my diesel experience (limited, but some), that's to be expected. It's just the momentary "run rich" phenomenon, which in a diesel equates to black smoke for a second or so.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #12  
When I 1st got my gc1715 I was using ultra low sulphur diesel fuel and I noticed more "puffing" and a longer starting sequence. Then I switched to premium diesel which is a nickel a gallon more. Premium diesel is still ultra low sulphur but it has additives in it that work well with higher compression engines. Also note that the GC1700 series should be slightly different from the gc23 or gc24 or gc26 as the gc1700 is tier 4 rated.

Since using premium diesel I get very little smoke at start up and none during operation . . that I can see. Just today I cleaned off 1 year's worth of black buildup where muffler exhausts. It cleaned up quick and easy with a single wipe and only 2 light pasdes. Now one of these days I'm going to wash and rub on this special polymer uv protective coating I got a year ago. Supposed to last and orotect paint for 365 days. That's me . . Once a year whether it needs it or not lol.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310
When I 1st got my gc1715 I was using ultra low sulphur diesel fuel and I noticed more "puffing" and a longer starting sequence. Then I switched to premium diesel which is a nickel a gallon more. Premium diesel is still ultra low sulphur but it has additives in it that work well with higher compression engines. Also note that the GC1700 series should be slightly different from the gc23 or gc24 or gc26 as the gc1700 is tier 4 rated.

Since using premium diesel I get very little smoke at start up and none during operation . .

Thats a good call. Premium diesel has higher Centane, I will give that a try. Other than that, guess I just have to live with it !

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #14  
Thats a good call. Premium diesel has higher Centane, I will give that a try. Other than that, guess I just have to live with it !

I always use an additive in my fuel, something like Power Services, I suspect that make ordinary #2 diesel equivalent to "premium" diesel...which I haven't ever seen around here anyway.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #15  
+1. I store mine in an out building. After an 85*F day the heat from that building kinda smacks you in the face when you open the door. My tractor STILL will not start without using the glow plugs.

I've read several threads that lead me to believe this is normal for the GC 17's though.

I keep my tractor in a garage when it's hot , an it will start without the glow plugs. Although it is a 1423 not a gc model.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #16  
Same with mine a little puff of balck smoke when it starts, also gotta use the glows plugs. This smoke really sucked in the wiinter when i have it in the shed. Im thinking the engine should be cleaner when starting not like a old 300 mercedes diesel. I wonder if massey is pulling some scam like VW did all these years lol.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #17  
In the winter I always use Power Services additive also. But there is something I think is needing clarification because diesel options are different regionally.

A. We all know there is #2 diesel (fuel oil) which in our area is ultra low sulphur which our GC units require. Its exactly the same thing that is used for oil fired furnaces and delivered by truck. While this one is the cheapest . . in my testing it produces the most smoke and exhaust smell when under load. It has no road tax. It can gel at cold temperatures.

B. We have #1 diesel (fuel oil) like everyone else. This is the identical sulphur level as ( A.). It is more expensive than #2 fuel oil but does not gel in cold temps. It has no road tax. I've never tried using it in my GC1715 so I don't have info on if it smokes less than (A).

C. This option is road diesel and is more expensive as it is (A ) plus some additives. It carries road tax with it and is sold to diesel vehicle and semi drivers. It doesn't have "winterizer" and doesn't have "blendin" so in ultra cold it will gel. Smoke level is less than (A) but not much less.

D. Premium Diesel has the same ultra low sulphur level as ( A., B., and C.). But premium diesel has more additives to it than any of the others . . it is NOT the same as (A) or (C) above plus Power Services/Centane. It costs 5 cents per gallon more in normal weather and 12 cents per gallon more in winter than (C). It gets better mileage than (C ) and runs cleaner. Its smoke level is less than (A with centane added) and less than (C with centane added).

My use of diesel fuel is so low on a per hour basis, that I buy Premium Diesel and get the same benefits that big contractors and fleets get when they choose Premium Diesel.

Our Farmer's COOP sells all 4 of these and the driver tells me that he delivers premium diesel to these fleets and some bigger construction company locations because they have less maintenace when they use it plus better mileage..

Now some of this is pretty simple stuff . . but sometimes it isn't. As an example all 4 of my items listed above are ultra low sulphur diesel from our COOP. But numerous other places home heating oil is ONLY low sulphur diesel and this is a BIG difference. Low sulphur diesel is much much different than ultra low sulphur diesel and they should never be confused. And additives like Power Setvices and others will not change low sulphur dieselvto ultra low sulphur diesel. Our GC1700 models should never use low sulphur diesel .

Last edited:
   / Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #18  
I just bump up the idle and it smooths out quickly.

What is the idle speed on the GC's? Tried out a BX25D- idle speed was 1500 rpm which seems high ... I assume it's for emission reasons.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #19  
What is the idle speed on the GC's? Tried out a BX25D- idle speed was 1500 rpm which seems high ... I assume it's for emission reasons.

"Minimum" idle for a BX and a GC are both about 1500 rpm . . but that is where the comparison changes in use of rpms. A BX needs 3200 rpm for its fel to operate effectively as an example. Meanwhile a gc1705/10 has usable fel access at 1800 rpm already and maxes out at 2600 and a gc1715/20 is operational at 1800 and maxes out at 3000. Its because the hydro on a bx is a single pump while a gc has 2 pumps. Its not a difference of maximum power in general but in most everything a bx needs much higher rpms than a GC to make its power usable.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #20  
Are you sure about that Axle? Without running out and starting my tractor, I'm thinking it idles at around 1,250 rpm's.