Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #1  

madhatter

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 Massey GC1710
I have noticed that my new GC1710 doesn't seem to start like my GC2310 did. I find I have to hold the glow plugs on WAY longer than my old one ( in warm weather ) and when it does start, it does so with a pretty good puff of black.

My buddy at work has the exact same 2015 GC1710 and it acts the same way, as do the new ones at the dealer I tried. Wondering what the difference is from my previous 2006 GC2310 ? New style engine ?

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #2  
The engine probably has a higher compression ratio, thus the hard starting. Mine does the same thing.

I just bump up the idle and it smooths out quickly.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #3  
+1. I store mine in an out building. After an 85*F day the heat from that building kinda smacks you in the face when you open the door. My tractor STILL will not start without using the glow plugs.

I've read several threads that lead me to believe this is normal for the GC 17's though.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #4  
I also noticed my GC1720 does not start quite as easily as my GC2400 did.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #5  
Also, the owners manual has starting instructions that indicate to open the throttle between 1/2 and full. Glow plug for 5 to 7 seconds in "normal" conditions, longer in cold weather.

I went by these instructions for the first few starts but no longer use the 1/2 to full throttle recommendation. I feel more comfortable using the throttle position that starts quickest with minimal smoke.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #6  
I agree, I just bump the throttle a bit over idle when starting, going to half throttle or more is unnecessary. Again, my starting experience is anecdotal, not a controlled comparison. Even though the engine on the GC1700 series is supposed to be "cleaner", it does let off a bigger puff of blake smoke on start up than my GC2400 did.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #7  
I agree, I just bump the throttle a bit over idle when starting, going to half throttle or more is unnecessary. Again, my starting experience is anecdotal, not a controlled comparison. Even though the engine on the GC1700 series is supposed to be "cleaner", it does let off a bigger puff of blake smoke on start up than my GC2400 did.

+1 on the big puff of smoke!

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310
Well I am glad to hear it seems "normal" for the 17 series. It seems like it doesn't turn over as fast as my 2310 did so that may be part of it. Sure seems strange though as it puffs black when started and times when going from idle to full under some load. The 2310 did not seem to smoke at all. And these are the new "clean" diesels !

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310 #9  
Madhatter, could you explain more thorough about "idle to full under some load." This seems like "normal":laughing:black smoke from a diesel.

/ Starting my GC1710 compared to my previous GC2310
Madhatter, could you explain more thorough about "idle to full under some load." This seems like "normal":laughing:black smoke from a diesel.

For example, when mowing, tractor is at idle then I ramp up full throttle it will puff black. Yes it is a diesel, however my older GC2310 did not smoke like the new gc1710. It is a tier4 motor so maybe that is why.....