1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #1  

1540massey

Tractor
1540 Massey Ferg
Looking for help on what to do with my problem. My dad was using his tractor (1540 massey ferguson with a 1525 loader it has the joystick control). He was using his backhoe (woods BH-80x) when he started to shoot a stream of hydraulic fluid from underneath his tractor. We looked around to see if something had fallen apart but couldn't find anything. It is leaking out of the valve block that controls the loader. From looking at it im assuming its the pressure relief block.

20160716_150804.jpg

revised items.jpg

We are trying to figure out exactly what the hole was for and if it can be plugged/welded shut/ect. I have the equipment to do this but not sure if its the right thing to do our "local massey dealer" that we bought it off of is really no help when it comes to troubleshooting.

Any help appreciated thank you

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #2  
Looks like a test port, is that part of a fitting broken off in there? If so maybe you remove it with an easy out and put in a plug.

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #3  
I am not at all sure what I am seeing in the photos but it looks to me like it is so close to the line coming in or out of the loader valve body that it might be the line connector or line. If you cannot see a split or any opening with fluid coming out, try gentle tightening of the metal hydraulic line connection. Sometimes a 1/4 turn will do it in that sort of situation. That was the case when I had a line connection start to leak on a pinch bucket. Hopefully (and I think most likely) it is the metal line and connector, not the loader valve body. Do you have a way to get under it and see directly where the source of the spraying leak is while it is under heavy pressure ? May be hard to do getting sprayed in the face !

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #4  
Can you take a wider picture so we can see the ports?

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #5  
Have you got the serial number of your machine? I'm pretty sure there's an old update where that hole gets tapped and plugged. I think it had a Welch plug or ball pressed in there originally and a good pressure spike will force it out. I wouldn't weld it, I would put threads in there with a plug.

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block
Thanks for info serial number JNB22901. 2005 year. We tapped the 10/32 hole and plugged with set screw. Tractor stopped leaking and functioning normal. Just concerned that the hole had a critical function

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #7  
Thanks for info serial number JNB22901. 2005 year. We tapped the 10/32 hole and plugged with set screw. Tractor stopped leaking and functioning normal. Just concerned that the hole had a critical function

Thanks for this discussion! I had the exact same problem with my 2012 Massey Ferguson 1540. I searched everywhere for information and even took the same picture as you did to search for diagrams on the internet. You posts was a blessing! I drilled it out and placed a set screw. No problems yet.

The Operator's Manual that came with the tractor was no help. I was thinking of purchasing the Service Manual or Parts Book, but couldn't view sample pages. I was looking for something like the Chiltons or Haynes books that I usually purchase for my trucks. Does anyone know which MF manual/book is worth the price to purchase?

Mahalo,
Nate from Hawaii

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #8  
Thanks for this discussion! I had the exact same problem with my 2012 Massey Ferguson 1540. I searched everywhere for information and even took the same picture as you did to search for diagrams on the internet. You posts was a blessing! I drilled it out and placed a set screw. No problems yet.

The Operator's Manual that came with the tractor was no help. I was thinking of purchasing the Service Manual or Parts Book, but couldn't view sample pages. I was looking for something like the Chiltons or Haynes books that I usually purchase for my trucks. Does anyone know which MF manual/book is worth the price to purchase?

Mahalo,
Nate from Hawaii

Especially if you bought your 1540 new your dealer should give you passwords, etc. so that you can look at parts books on-line. Many times the parts book diagrams are extremely helpful without actually seeing the service manual. Not sure if the service manuals can be accessed that way, but again, a good dealer will do you a courtesy and copy the relevant pages from a service manual for you.

/ 1540 Massey Ferguson Hyddraulics issues on FEL pressure regulator block #9  
Just click on "guest" .