50 hour service done

/ 50 hour service done #1  

Fiziksgeek

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
Did the 50 hour service last night, switched over to Amsoil.

ATH int he transmission
SVG in the front axle
ACD in the engine

Bought some grease since I was already placing an order, will probably need to refile my gun in a couple months. Bought an extra quart of SVG which will go into my mower deck gear box at the end of the season.

The only surprise for me was the color of the fluid in the front axle. Was WAY darker than my previous tractor. I think it may just be an indication of how many hours I have been running in 4wd in comparison to the past though. I've been doing quite a lot of the loader and backhoe work.

The hardest part was getting the filled rear tire back on after cleaning out the screen!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 200
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 197
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 171
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 161
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 190
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 207
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 197
   / 50 hour service done #2  
Looks good! You'll have to keep us all posted on your change to all amsoil products!

/ 50 hour service done #3  
Good work.

What did the amsoil run you for all three different oils?

/ 50 hour service done
I ordered a case (12 quarts) of ATH plus 2 extra single quarts, 5 quarts of SVG, 1 bottle (gallon) of ACD for the engine (smallest it comes in), 2-14oz tubes of GLCCR grease. I signed up for the preferred membership ($10) since I plan on ordering some stuff for my truck as well. Add shipping and tax, and total was $257.01....ouch! I have 2 quarts of ATH and 1 quart of SVG left over, plus about a quart of the engine oil. I used Massey filters from my dealer. I forget the price, but I think they were $30-40 dollars total.

When I didn't the 50 hour service on my GC2400 I used all dealer fluids and filters, and if I recall, the total was about $180. This time is was more like $280...$290. Was it worth it...I don't know...but it makes me fell good...

/ 50 hour service done #5  
How is the Amsoil working for you now that it's been in a while? Hydro, FEL and 3 point all working the same with no noises? Maybe running cooler or quieter? The only reason I ask, is that I read another post where someone ran a non-OEM fluid (Generic) and had some issues with noises and less lifting power on the FEL on a similar tractor. Grant it that wasn't Amsoil, but it was "different" oil than the OEM spec's so that's the reason for my question. I love the synthetics (Amsoil and Mobil 1) and I'm certainly a believer in them. Full break in is supposedly complete at the 50 hour mark, so it's probably a good point to switch over to synthetics. I live in a cold weather climate, so at a minimum I will be using synthetic in my engine.

LM

/ 50 hour service done #6  
How is the Amsoil working for you now that it's been in a while? Hydro, FEL and 3 point all working the same with no noises? Maybe running cooler or quieter? The only reason I ask, is that I read another post where someone ran a non-OEM fluid (Generic) and had some issues with noises and less lifting power on the FEL on a similar tractor. Grant it that wasn't Amsoil, but it was "different" oil than the OEM spec's so that's the reason for my question. I love the synthetics (Amsoil and Mobil 1) and I'm certainly a believer in them. Full break in is supposedly complete at the 50 hour mark, so it's probably a good point to switch over to synthetics. I live in a cold weather climate, so at a minimum I will be using synthetic in my engine.

LM

I have been running Amsoil ATH, for more than 10 years.

I noticed no difference whatsoever vs. the MF fluid. Some do claim noticing all kinds of benefits. Amsoil only claims, your wet brakes may be quieter.

The synthetic oil has better lubricity at extremely low temperatures, so I believe it is superior. Hydraulic fluid doesn't wear out. So, unless it gets dirty, or contaminated, you can run it a long time.

It's not 1970 any more. As far as engine oil goes, lubricity is almost identical between mineral oil, and synthetic oil now. Therefore, unless your engine is shipped with a specific breaking oil, and the manual specifies a specific period for running that specific breaking oil, you can switch at any time. Your engine won't know the difference. And, it won't break any different, on either one.

Engines on most new cars are shipped with synthetic oil from the factory.

/ 50 hour service done
Sorry for the slow response, just back from 2 weeks in Yellowstone with the family!

I've put about 20 hours on the tractor since doing the service. Haven't noticed any change in sound or performance in that time.

/ 50 hour service done #8  
Very nice Fiziksgeek, you just saved yourself some $$$!

I did my 50 hr earlier this summer, I will probably switch over to amsoil once I get to the next service interval which I think is 300hrs. When I bought the tractor I negotiated to have the dealer throw in all the supplies for the 50hr service - so I have all MF fluids in it now and i'm at 75 hrs.

I did notice a much quieter transmission after I did the 50hr.

On a grease note, I also have started using the amsoil lithium grease, seems good so far.

/ 50 hour service done #9  
Very nice Fiziksgeek, you just saved yourself some $$$!

I did my 50 hr earlier this summer, I will probably switch over to amsoil once I get to the next service interval which I think is 300hrs. When I bought the tractor I negotiated to have the dealer throw in all the supplies for the 50hr service - so I have all MF fluids in it now and i'm at 75 hrs.

I did notice a much quieter transmission after I did the 50hr.

On a grease note, I also have started using the amsoil lithium grease, seems good so far.

Your saying, you took out Permatran, and replaced it with Permatran, and found it to be much quieter?

/ 50 hour service done #10  
Sorry for the delay on this, but yes. I replaced permatran with permatran and its running quieter.

The hydro got louder as I went from 2-50 hrs. Perhaps it was the break in of the parts that changed something. I don't know. But the hydro was notably quieter with the fresh fluid.

It's still the same noise level today and I now have 115 hours.