PTO engagement using a rotary mower

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #31  
That is the point I was trying to make....there is no "easing it on". The push button engages an electro magnetic clutch, from what I've read. It is off and then a few milliseconds later, it is 100% on.

And the engine's miminum idle is 1200 RPM. It doesn't go any lower than that.

But that being said, I'll just continue to use it the way the manual states.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm 60+ years old so I am old school when it comes to farm equipment. This MF 1529 is my first new tractor and while it sure runs nice, I can't imgaine it still working in 50 years (like several I was operating when I was a kid and still continue to run today). A tractor made with pieces of plastic that actuate the shifting and cable assemblies (like the kind found on motorcycles or bicycles).....seriously, it won't stand up to 50 years of service and weather like the "old tractors" have done all these years. I figure I probably got about 15 or maybe 20 years left in me and then my wood cutting days (and a need for a tractor and brush cutter) will be over. Hopefully those plastic parts won't wear out until then. FWIW, the cruise cable assembly already broke.

Thanks again to all who provided input. This is a great community of owners!
You idle speed can be adjusted and should not more than 1000 RPM but still 1200 RPM should be adequate to start without stalling and not TOO high to cause damage. It is going to make some racket when starting even if you had a clutch that you could use to feather it in.

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #33  
1200rpm idle seems rather high, should be able to get down to 600 although extended idling or operating at that low of rpm causes trouble.

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #34  
I would think that if the clutch slipped at startup, it would slip badly when mowing.
No. it doesn't. Mine (7ft Bush Hog) is set with tension on the slip clutch where it squeaks fairly loudly when it is engaged but never slips that I can tell during mowing. Just a momentary squeak at start-up. This makes sense because of the shock load going from zero to full rpm. Agree 100% with all the rest you said. Lower the rpm when you engage the pto & then bring it up to full speed afterward. That minimizes the racket, treats your equipment with reasonable care and gets the job done. No big deal, just good habit.

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #35  
The shudder is just the effect of the large unbalanced flywheel wobbling its way to up to speed. Between the PTO shaft and the blade tips on my little 5' there's easily 200-300# of steel building inertia. I engage at about 1/2 throttle (as the manual directs for my machine) and throttle up after the PTO engages. I get a similar unpleasant effect engaging the chipper that has 175# flywheel--the diameter is smaller so there is less, but still noticeable. It's a significant weight to get turning. You won't feel the same violence with a tiller, spreader, water pump, etc... it is normal when you're working with more massive gear. I'd follow the manual to the letter, and call customer service if you feel uneasy/the effect seems to be extreme.

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #36  
If the tractor will start the rotary cutter or chipper at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle instead of 1/2 throttle , why not ? The shock loading and stress will be reduced .

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #38  
I haven't tried the brush hog on the "new" (to me) MF1529, yet, but after reading this thread, a couple of things came to mind: You might be able to pulse the switch on and off to get the blades up to full spinning speed. The other thing, which might help, is a clutch on the PTO shaft .... this could slip a bit, until the load of the blades spinning up, is reduced, at full speed. ??

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #39  
Even "pulsing" the switch on and off is going to slam the driveline with harsh engagements. It would just do it multiple times, each a little less harsh than the one before it.

/ PTO engagement using a rotary mower #40  
some new ideas that sound ridiculous on the surface are actually based on a legitimate underlying argument.

I would be happy to hear an argument in favour of regularly shock loading your tractor pto system and related implements. :rolleyes: