GC 1705 black smoke on startup

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #1  

jrm21

Tractor
GC1705
I've seen many suggest that it is normal. If so, is there any way to avoid that big blast of black smoke when you start the engine? It's just one big puff at first, but the cloud sits there and can be pretty thick.

My 1705 is kept in a garage right now. The initial blast of smoke fills the garage and I need to hold my breath. My barn is almost complete and will be the new home for the tractor. Not sure it is a good idea to start it up with horses on the other side of the barn.

Short of pushing it outside before startup, are there any tips to minimizing the problem?

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #2  
It's just how it starts. Nothing to be alarmed about and it's perfectly normal.

As soon as the motor has air flowing in enough volume, the smoke goes away.

There will be nothing you can do to prevent it...

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #3  
Every diesel tractor I have ever had does it to some degree.

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup
I was afraid of that.

So what do you all do when starting a tractor indoors? In the garage, I can hold my breath and then walk away for a few moments until the smoke dissipates.

What about in a barn with livestock?

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #5  
? Been around it for years. Never bothered me. It must be in much higher concentrations to matter. I don't let it run indoors. I move it out right after I start it. It is not the stuff you see that is the bad stuff. It is what you can't see.

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #6  
How much throttle are you giving it at startup? .........All you need is a little above idle !!!!!!!

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup
How much throttle are you giving it at startup? .........All you need is a little above idle !!!!!!!

Barely above idle. Just enough to get it to start.

It isn't continuous smoke. Just one big belch of it upon startup. Heavy, smelly and dark. Wouldn't be so bad if it went away quickly, but it just hangs there. I guess I should simply work on better ventilation when I start up.

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #8  
You could try a fan to dissipate the smoke. I start mine in a small outbuilding. Generally I just start it, walk out for a couple minutes while it warms up then go in, jump on it and pull out.

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #9  
I have never has a issue with that, however, what about attaching a piece of flexible hose to the exhaust pipe and vent it to the outside. Remove after exhaust is normal. Ken Sweet

/ GC 1705 black smoke on startup #10  
I have 2 suggestions that will effect tje amount of blacl smoke you produce at startup:

1. Use Premium Diesel fuel. The adfitive package used in premium diesel is more than what you buy in the store additives. It gives you better mileage . . Cleaner burning and power . . Less unburned exhaust.

2. Always use glow plug starting for at leadt 4 to 5 seconds or more . . starting without glow plug use puts more fuel in the combustion area than gets burned at startup . . So less cranking means less smoke . . and glow plus starting with premium diesrl gives you fadter starting as well as the advantages in #1 .