Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #1  

lazermule

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 Massey 1736
Wanted to start a general thread on the Massey 1736 tractors for general comments, experiences, questions and answers.

I'll Start:

I have about 32 hours now on my 1736 cab now and it for the most part has been a pretty good tractor. I plan to bring it back to the dealer for its 50 hour service and at the same time get the tires loaded, look at a 3 point snow blower and pick up a set of pallet forks. My brother has advised me to load all 4 tires, but the dealer is recommending just the rears be loaded (filled).

An issue I have had that I plan on having the dealer address is the fuel gauge, it operates very erratically. Just tonight when I started mowing (3 point 72" in light grass) I had 1 bar under 1/2 tank and in 1 hour (on the meter) the gauge read empty. I didn't have any more fuel to add to check the gauge, but either the gauge is defective, or this thing is REALLY thirsty.

I hauled my 1736 about 90 miles to my cabin this past weekend to do some mowing. Did some field mowing (heavy grass) with the 48" bush hog and it all went well. Again, seemed to eat a lot of fuel but it's a bigger tractor than what I'm used to so I'm looking past that for now. I do know however, it would never go 8 hours on a tank of fuel as many machines do. Hopefully after the break in period the fuel consumption gets better. Another thing to note is that it has not gone through a regen cycle yet in 32 hours, and I believe some say that theirs had by that time on the meter? Mine is only showing 3 bars on the soot meter.

All in all, I really like the tractor. Just some minor issues to be addressed.

LM

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #2  
I have the 1742. Came with rears loaded and dealer said they don't usually load fronts unless asked to. My fuel consumption doesn't seem too bad and should get better as it breaks in. Mine has the Mitsubishi. I have around 21 hrs and I've used around 12 or 14 gallons passed the fill up it came with. Has a 14 gallon tank I think. I should probably do a better check but that seems like a gallon or so per hr depending on how hard it's run. I think that's a normal rating 1 to 1.5 gph.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #3  
In the northeast because it was so windy and we received so much snow during the winter of 2014 - 2015 in the fall of 2015 I purchased my 1736 primarily for snow removal as I purchased a front blower with it. We have a fairly long driveway that runs west to east with a large field to the north which when the wind is blowing allows a constant supply of snow for days after the initial storm. Previously I was using a open cab New Holland TC33D with a rear blower, the cold wind and wrenching of my neck wasn't much fun anymore even though it was "tractor time".

So you can all thank me for the lack of snow in the northeast for the winter of 2015 - 2016. This year I'm going to have our walk behind snow blower tuned up so maybe that scarce off the snow for the winter of 2016 - 2017.

My 1736 only has just over 25 hours on it and is showing 2 bars on the soot meter and has not gone through a regeneration cycle either so it sounds like we are pretty close.

My rear tires are filled on both my TC33D and 1736, I would never purchase a tractor with a FEL without having the rears filled. Since I don't use a lot of rear implements without have in the FEL on I don't think I would be interested in filling the front tires.

Fuel usage on the 1736 seems to be a little higher than my TC33D but I have really not kept track. I haven't noticed any issues with the gauge.

This Massey is a beast compared to my New Holland, but then, they really are 2 different types/vintages of tractors. I haven't had any issues with my 1736, but with so few hours I would expect not to have.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #4  
I haven't payed attention to fuel consumption on my 1736 but I will next time I use the brush hog.

What type of grease do I use for the loader and front axle? Is it ok to use the same grease for both?

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #5  
The manual specifies Massey Ferguson M-1105 or equivalent lithium base grease No 2 for all grease fittings. I'm sure others will reply with their favorite, but as long as it is a lithium base grease No 2 I can't see how you can go wrong. The most important thing is to grease them frequently. The loader manual indicates every 10 hours but I didn't find any frequency for the tractor.

What is everyone's favorite grease gun? I always seem to struggle with loosing the prime on mine especially when I change tubes.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #6  
I have a grease gun from harbor freight that works really well. I use Lucas tacky red lithium base which is "no.2" equivalent

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #7  
I have to use a flexible hose type to do mine but it's the backhoe and loader that needs that wonky thing and only a few fittings. All the rest I can manage with a typical bent 45 degree head . I just use HF's finest :laughing:guns, they do the deed.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #8  
I have a 1754 which has the larger 4 cyl engine. I haven't done "for real" fuel consumption measuring, but my back of envelope estimation is around 3/4 gph. However, I don't (yet) have any PTO implements and am rarely above 1800 rpm for any length of time. Almost all my work to date (104 hrs) has been grapple and pulling scrapers.

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #9  
Heres a question. If I pull my Hydro Filter ( shuttle shift model) am I going to dump the fluid? I don't want to find out the hard way and changed the oil a bit ago . I know most filters aren't holding back the tidal wave but.............

/ Massey Ferguson 1736 General Thread #10  
That's a good question as I would like to know as well.