Changing hydraulic oil in the FEL?

/ Changing hydraulic oil in the FEL? #1  

Dredwolf

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF 250
As I posted here in the forum, the trans housing for the MF 250 finally got changed, and with new seals, no leaks so far.

I have not been in a rush to attach the FEL, as with splitting the tractor, the hydraulic fluid got drained and the housing cleaned. The filter was terrible, so I don't want to connect the FEL until I have most of the fluid drained from it too, and contaminate the new fluid.
I had to source fasteners for the loader mounts from Bolt Depot, and the mounts needed cleaning and the surface rust dealt with anyway, so I am trying to think this through and not rush to install the FEL, even though all this time without it is evident around what used to be a farm. Is there a "better" way to flush the lines and cylinders on the FEL? Or just remove lines and collapse cylinders?

Thanks in advance.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in the FEL? #2  
You can use LOW pressure compressed air, to cycle the cylinders. And, potentially blow oil all over the place.

I would remove the cylinders, from the FEL. And, keep in mind, they can move dangerously fast. So, you have to be careful.

But, that is how we get the oil out of them, after testing.

You can make up something to connect an air hose to. Or, just use a rubber tipped blow gun.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in the FEL?
Thanks for the response. I have blown a few hoses.....and sat there in the field, dripping red hydraulic fluid like some forlorn survivor of some alien invasion after several of them.

The air idea makes sense, I can cut the pressure regulator way down....but pick up a couple of bags of Oil-Dri first.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in the FEL? #4  
Good luck. :D

Good luck. :D

Refreshing this thread, and hopefully Ray's good luck wishes, as I finally found someone with a press big enough to straighten the belly mount for the loader, got it installed last night, so NOW I get to flush the loader lines.

Refreshing this thread, and hopefully Ray's good luck wishes, as I finally found someone with a press big enough to straighten the belly mount for the loader, got it installed last night, so NOW I get to flush the loader lines.

Well, it took a month, and 8 new hoses, but the FEL is back on the 250 as of this morning. Thanks to some strong help from a neighbor with a 35hp Kubota TLB to get it mounted, the horse manure pile got turned with my own equipment for the first time in over 3 years.