A loving home for a neglected MF1455v

/ A loving home for a neglected MF1455v #1  

1stDeuce

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1455v
With a property purchase in the works, I've been looking for a large CUT to do the prep work for building a house in the spring. After being unable to get an LS locally for a decent price, I made up my mind to take a 4 hour drive to the nearest Branson dealer and test drive a 4020R. If I liked it as much as the LS 4150 that I drove, it was going to be my new tractor, compete with backhoe, and $330/month payment.

A few days before I was going to head up, I checked CL one last time to see what else may have showed up. Generally, the tractors on CL are very expensive for their condition, and have a mostly unknown past, and I've not found anything that worked for me. However, this day there was an hour-old ad for a 2003 Massey Ferguson 1455v with loader and 480 hours.
Here's the picture off CL:
side.jpg

Not a lot of other details, but $12k price and low hours had me interested... Specs showed it was very comparable in size to the 40hp tractors I was considering. I contacted the seller and got them to send more pictures. Nothing scary in the pictures, but it was obvious that it had been left out in the field it's whole life. The owners used it for a very small (~15 acres) haying operation for their own horses, and that was it. It had a 1040 loader, which was not mounted and had hardly been used.

After some discussion, I decided to head up and check it out, and bring it home if it was acceptable. Since I was the first caller, and they had several more, the price was not negotiable. I feel like I still got a pretty good deal. :)

IMG_6328.JPG

It fires right up, and runs excellent. Had service history written in the owners manual. (One oil change and a few grease jobs) Aside from a broken tail light and missing headlight bulbs and wiring, there's no damage. 55hp non-turbo engine with no emissions stuff to worry about. At 2.8L, it's probably not too easy on fuel, but LOTS more power than the MF1533 that I've run, and very good reliability from what I can find on the web.

The bad: Paint is burned off the top side of everything. Seat has some sun damaged areas, but no rips yet. (It was replaced at some point...) Every hose on the loader leaks, except one, which had obviously been replaced in the last few years. Left brake doesn't work, but the right one does. The "v" in the model name is for "value" - it's a cheaper model with less features than the standard 1455... No tilt steering, no extendable 3pt links or crank to tilt, non-folding ROPS, standard shuttle instead of power, no rear remotes. Oh, and no backhoe. :(

The interesting: It still has the original Yuasa battery, which seems to be holding a charge and more than willing to crank the tractor to life. Owners said they put it on the charger from time to time to make sure it never went dead.

Since I'm a huge fan of not making payments on anything, it works for me. I'll fix it up a little at a time, and I'm sure it'll be a good tractor for my needs.

Oh, I also picked up a 6' box blade on the run, off Craigslist. It's an older Farm Star, and built really heavy. Needs a few welds, and a bit of paint, but not bad for $550. :)

Plus, I got to see some Bighorn sheep on the drive up 550 from Farmington to Rifle.
IMG_6321.JPG

Last edited:
   / A loving home for a neglected MF1455v
Catching up...
Well, it's been a busy week. I kinda needed the loader to work sooner than later, so I took off two of the hoses and had a local place make all eight. (Six are ~22" long, two are ~28")

It turns out the male O-ring fitting that these hoses use on the cyl end is hard to come by, at least around here. A few places had two or four of them, but nobody had eight. Luckily, one of the more reputable places saved the day by suggesting an adapter, and two female fittings on the hose. Now I can easily get hoses made anywhere, and it was still the cheapest way to go, at ~$210 for all eight hoses.
Here's the old setup vs. new, so you can see the adapter that goes from straight thread with O-ring to male JIC. New hoses are female JIC on both ends. (Don't forget to blow out your new hoses before installing... they were full of rubber dust from cutting...)

I kept the one "good" hose as a spare just in case I rip one, or have an infant failure once the tractor is up at the new property.

I also bought three weld hooks off Epay, and welded them on the bucket. Buckets should just COME with hooks... You can also see in this pic that the bucket uses the Global or Euro style QA system. I have a set of pallet forks on order, and it is really easy to remove and install the bucket, and you only have to un-latch the pins... They auto-latch when you roll the bucket back. :)

IMG_6330.JPG

And finally, they couldn't find the pins that attach the loader uprights to the tractor, so we put in some smaller dia ones and just zip tied them in place for the ride home. I bought two 1" red handle pins that are JUST long enough. Drilled them for the retainer bolt. Much better!!

IMG_6331.JPGIMG_6332.JPG

Oh, one more thing...
I don't know how it was done, but the front cross piece of the loader was bent upwards in the middle, so the headlight holes were all distorted... Possibly from it hitting the front "bumper" of the tractor when they were removing it, or from trying to block it up for some reason...
Hmm, I don't have a "before" picture...

Anyway, a little hi-lift jacking to pull it back down, and large C-clamps to straighten the flat sections, and it looks good again.

I also ordered a set of LED 4x6 headlights for it. The bulbs and holders are missing, and one light is all rusty inside. New lights from MF are ~60 each, and may or may not come with the holders and wiring... I figure the LED lights will work fine for my use, and they come with brackets that I can hopefully use to mount them. They were $50 for the pair.

/ A loving home for a neglected MF1455v #4  
Oh, one more thing...
I don't know how it was done, but the front cross piece of the loader was bent upwards in the middle, so the headlight holes were all distorted... Possibly from it hitting the front "bumper" of the tractor when they were removing it, or from trying to block it up for some reason...
Hmm, I don't have a "before" picture...

Anyway, a little hi-lift jacking to pull it back down, and large C-clamps to straighten the flat sections, and it looks good again.

I also ordered a set of LED 4x6 headlights for it. The bulbs and holders are missing, and one light is all rusty inside. New lights from MF are ~60 each, and may or may not come with the holders and wiring... I figure the LED lights will work fine for my use, and they come with brackets that I can hopefully use to mount them. They were $50 for the pair.
Pushing fence post in the ground, maybe? I have seen people use their loader that way.

/ A loving home for a neglected MF1455v #6  
Congrats! Looks like you did good on the price... These Iseki units are great machines.

I ordered a set of pallet forks from Titan Monday, and they arrived this morning. I'm going to improve the looks of the pallet fork frame and my box blade right after work. I figure a teaspoon or so of gloss black in a quart of sunrise red should be pretty close to MF red... :)

IMG_6335.JPG

/ A loving home for a neglected MF1455v #8  
Looks like you got a couple front lug bolts missing.

Looks like you got a couple front lug bolts missing.
Not missing. Those are the two studs, and they are rusty on the front axle.

Pushing fence post in the ground, maybe? I have seen people use their loader that way.
The piece that was bent was the bar in front of the headlights, not the bucket. It looks like they didn't understand how to remove the loader and tried to block it up... I think the prior owner was not mechanically inclined...